MU Podcast 064 - Suppressive Fire and Shelves of Mythos

Discussion about podcast episodes
PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior
Re: MU Podcast 064 - Suppressive Fire and Shelves of Mythos

Post by PirateLawyer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 pm

WinstonP wrote:My absolute go-to for all things firearms related is Hans-Christian Vortisch's Investigator Weapons vol. 1 - http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... C-volume-1 - It is indispensable.
I was very, very surprised it did not merit even a mention in this episode. I consider it a must-have for BRP games for its firearms rules and as a resource book.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:17 am

http://i.imgur.com/zMa05B1.gif

A seriously majestic cold blooded killer.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:43 am

Well done, people.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Shannon Mac wrote:Well done, people.
Thanks, person! :lol:
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Shimmin Beg
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Shimmin Beg » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:53 am

During the segment on Miskatonic West, you had an interesting discussion about why Mythos TV seems to struggle. Definitely agree with the point that ‘web series’ tends to not whip up too much enthusiasm, although I’m not sure why – bad stuff is definitely out there, but it’s equally a cheap way to distribute good quality material.

One thought I had is that it may be down to the audience. Mythos stuff is interesting in a couple of ways. One is that the audience has a bigger age range than a lot of pop culture and occult/urban fantasy material, just like CoC. It could be that a smaller proportion of the audience are interested in watching web-based TV, because their lives don’t revolve round the internet as much. Perhaps they don’t really pay attention to Kickstarters, or just don’t fancy these ones. Films may not see this effect as much, because I think it’s easier to find mainstream support for a one-off film or computer game than for most other media, with Cthulhu being pop culture now, and that may compensate.

Secondly, Mythos stems from weird fiction and that’s traditionally been the core of the genre. Maybe the kind of people who tend to like Mythos stuff are also generally readers, and therefore quite likely to support a new book, but perhaps less interested in a running TV series? Again, the age profile may be relevant here – not because readers are old fogies, but books can be easier to fit into a busy working life, by reading on the train or in lunch breaks. A book is also usually a smaller commitment, and a one-off, same with films. I’d love to see some stats, but I suspect web series tend to attract a lot of students and youngish folks without family commitments (be that kids or parents needing care).

Taking that from another angle, I also suspect that history means people are comfortable with the Mythos as literature, and maybe more inclined to accept that, consciously or otherwise. A new book of weird tales? Great. Books and games are about words and atmosphere, with a lot of reader imagination filling in the gaps. But maybe people don’t really see it as something that works well on TV, or needs visual media?