MU Podcast - Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS

Discussion about podcast episodes
JPDawson
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MU Podcast - Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS

Post by JPDawson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Surreptitious removal of a kidney?

Ok, that was great, a nice Easter egg (like that) among many great episodes. I made it to the end and clearly you have more than 2 listeners. There certainly are more than a few things that I cannot now unlearn (weird things with beets?). I had some stares though smiling and chuckling to myself while listening on the F-train back into Queens... it was the bunnies.

Regarding D&D (nice conversation, btw), you really need a good DM for 4th otherwise it is just a slogging through mechanistic rolls. Encounters was a nice setting to allow new players to get their feet wet and meet people; I miss it. I helped at my local game store before moving and often had one of the largest tables, because (I think) I focused on the narrative and giving visualization to the mechanics. Have only tried 5th/Next on a Game Day last year and was heavily rooted in 2nd.

Anyway, great show among many great shows. Thanks for many hours of entertainment and ideas!

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 pm

I too listened to the thing in its entirety. Loved every minute of it. You guys brought an energy to that episode we don't often get to hear. Keep up the great work!

Missed you Jon!

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 am

A mixed bag this year as after hearing how well (aside from the travel) that Gencon was this year, I'm glad it went well for the hosts, just sad I couldn't go thanks to work/finances. One thing that helped out with the Cthulhu Dark games I've been in or listened to was having some profession that added a little more depth to the characters having some bonus on something they're good at as well as investigating, also some didn't have as much pvp in it where players were contesting other players rolls (might have been an earlier version).

With all the talk about the one game, it to me sounded a little like Day After Ragnarok (Fate or Savage Worlds) by Ken Hite as it too involves a giant thing you might not be aware of just how big it is. Though that to me brings to mind the modern day Cthulhu setting for Fate & wondering if anyone has tried it at Gencon or otherwise. Seems easy from what I've read to take that into all kinds of pulp directions in a more classic CoC time period.

Curious to see how things turned out once it gets edited as there seemed to be so much at this year's Gencon that it left everyone with lots of goodness.

PS-for Murph, one system that I know of that did land & whatnot with fantasy well while keeping tons of it in fiction so you didn't have to sweat the details was Dungeon World with the magnate specialty class (found online). The core book does a good job at putting out a template to do towns quickly & the class helps to let you own/use land. Might not fit but throwing it out there.

Also ALL bunnies are just freaking evil. Anything that cute all the time has to be up to something nefarious.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Hahhaha yes. My thoughts exactly, fox.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm so pleasantly surprised there's so much response to this show on here. Everyone who made it to the end gets a gold (Elder Sign) star!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello!

Finished listening to this episode last weekend, and Murph's medieval RPG-setting project was interesting, and I thought I would try to provide some links to material that might be of help.

Elizabethan Call of Cthulhu - http://web.archive.org/web/200910221158 ... tudor.html

Renaissance, The Elizabethan World - http://www.elizabethan.org/

Strange Aeons 1 has two scenarios around that era, accompanied with some rules about creating characters for these periods, weapons and vocabulary. The Garden of Earthly Delights, set 1597 in Spain, and The King of Shreds and Patches, set 1603 in London.

In Red Eye of Azathoth there is the scenario Fires of Hatred Defile the Sky that is set 1487 in Spain.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Just finished the episode. Loved hearing about Gencon, and a little bit jealous too.

Please, if you run my Cthulhu Dark scenario that Dr. Gerard mentioned, please include me! I'd love to play in it! To be honest, to my knowledge that scenario has never been run.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:17 am

I'm in about 5 minutes.

"I'm a geek and realize this . . . "

Muuurrrphhhh! :lol:

Glad you all had fun!

EDIT: I finished it, Dan. Did I unlock an achievement called "Crazy Town"?

In honor of creepy bunny pictures:
Attachments
Bunny Man.jpg
Bunny Man.jpg (27KiB)Viewed 17197 times
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

joeybernard
Freshman
Freshman

Post by joeybernard » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:39 pm

I made it to the end. And I got off my lazy ass and found my way here, all on my lonesome. :cthulhudance:

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:01 pm

joeybernard wrote:I made it to the end. And I got off my lazy ass and found my way here, all on my lonesome. :cthulhudance:
Win!