MU Podcast 054 - Again, WTF is with Cults?

Discussion about podcast episodes
WiseWolf
Associate Professor
Re: MU Podcast 054 - Again, WTF is with Cults?

Post by WiseWolf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 pm

trevlix wrote: If you are going to subject yourself to that movie, watch the MST3K version. One of their best.
"This is just one guy talking...one guy...." LOL

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:53 pm

trevlix wrote:
Keeper Dan wrote:The image is a DVD cover for Manos: The Hands of Fate. A truly horrible movie with a really bizarre cult involving unexplained human hibernation, a caretaker with massive knees, and a cat-fight with women wearing diaphanous gowns.
If you are going to subject yourself to that movie, watch the MST3K version. One of their best.
I've been watching movies like mad lately and recently discovered that HULHU has Rifftrax and Netflix has a bunch of MST3K's. Just checked and Manos isn't one of the ones offered alas. :cthulhu2:

Anyway I've been watching lots of silent and early era horror and discovered a huge gap in my viewer ship. Most notably Mark of the Vampire and Mad Love.

Just check out a couple of images from these two flicks.

Man, I mean Peter Lorre in that weird neck brace and mechanical hands is an image I'm going to have to use, somehow. Luckily, I found a boxed set that has both films in it. Can't wait to see both of them.

On the subject of cults...I'm about to run either Orient Express or Eternal Lies for my Summer of 'thulhu game. Neck braced Peter Lorre will make an appearance either way. Can't wait.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:55 am

fallingtower wrote:I've been watching movies like mad lately and recently discovered that HULHU has Rifftrax and Netflix has a bunch of MST3K's. Just checked and Manos isn't one of the ones offered alas. :cthulhu2:
Amazon Prime has MST3K, including Manos, if you have that.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Thu May 01, 2014 4:02 am

Alas...I let my free Amazon Prime subscription run out. I didn't find anything while I had it that intrigued me.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:48 am

A good episode. I especially enjoyed the focus on Star Vampires. I ended up using Star Vampires as creatures that feed and then go into a food coma so they only try so hard to get the other investigators.

In one scenario it had fed on one, drove 2 insane and then ended up chasing those two down the hill. One of the PCs tried to trip the other but failed. It ended up going after one of the PCs and I told him to make a POWx1. Surprisingly, he made it.

So the Star Vampire was satiated and didn't care to work too hard for more food and let the investigator run off. That character was retired after that session to live for a long time but suffer major PTSD.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/