MU Podcast 051 - Wacky Gadgets and the Wacko's that Use Them

Discussion about podcast episodes
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: MU Podcast 051 - Wacky Gadgets and the Wacko's that Use

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:13 am

R.J. MacReady wrote:Listen, can't we all just agree on the mid-80s awesomeness of this cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
Agreed. Oh, the flashbacks. This was song #3 on a mix tape I got from a friend during the summer of my junior year, and it pretty much played on continuous loop when work was slow at my summer job.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:40 pm

To add to the transcription of Lady Gaga for a Classical Chamber ensamble I mentioned in my last post. Two different transcriptions of "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes:

1. Swing Band Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpMUBsTWfwg

2. Dixie Blues Style (Players might not recognise what they are hearing, at first... ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TYBygvKug
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:41 am

This is such a wild idea, Graham. Many possibilities.
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:37 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:This is such a wild idea, Graham. Many possibilities.
The first thing that came to my mind would be to disorient the players, if they walk into a seedy nightclub in Harlem and hear the CW Stoneking version of "Seven Nation Army" it's going to make them wonder...

Of course you need the right music, the soundtrack to the film "Dark City" (Available on CD & probably for download by now.) has two Pop-songs done in the style of a 1940's/early 50's (female) lounge singer, "Sway" works, "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes", not so much...
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Russacky
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Russacky » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:30 am

Hey guys. Great episode. I loved the heated argument between Murph and the Doctor even though the argument did repeat itself near the end. I was sitting there listening really wanting to take part in the argument so I guess this will have to do.

Personally I think Murph was correct as far as the connotation for what 'cult' means but Dr. Gerard was correct as far as not all cults being inherently or completely evil. However, the word 'cult', especially related to Cthulhu , carries with it a negative tone or sentiment. You can argue, following the dictionary definition of cult, that a cult doesn't necessarily have to be evil or deviant but, unfortunately, it has entered the global lexicon with that connotation.

As with most arguments, especially ones where the participants have polarising opinions, I think you guys just got bogged down in semantics and that's what caused the conflict.

Argument aside it did bring up a topic that I had not thought about which was making a cult, who did not have evil intent, being victims of the deity that they favour. I thought that this would be fascinating as a story hook purely because the investigators would hear the word 'cult, falsely equate the cult to something evil, (hopefully) kill some of the members or destroy some of their property and then (hopefully) come to realise that what they'd done. If not, well, the police would love to have a chat to them about what occurred.
:cthulhudance:
ystell'bsna grah'n hupadgh cthulhu ytharanak n'gha

Image by Alan Bao (not me) http://alanbao.tumblr.com/
IRC 4 LYF

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 am

Oh yeah, that sounds good. Or perhaps an explicitly Mythos-serving cult manipulates investigators into a raid against a harmless muffin-thingy cult that goes horribly wrong. "Put the muffin down! We will shoot to kill anyone who brandishes muffins!"

Kidding aside, foe sure I have to concede that cult has a negative connotation, accurate or not, and that notion can be used to mess with your players. Also expanding the definition to include informal classes of people who share a common interest, like gaming, is not very useful in this context. It is interesting to think about a particular subgroup of such classes branching off, radicalizing, and nurturing extreme devotions and goals.
Plays for Keepers

Russacky
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Russacky » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 am

WARNING!
I am colourblind so the colours could be incredibly horrible for you normal colour folks. That's why I linked to the image so you can quiet your screaming children, ancestors, visiting in-laws and possibly eyeballs by closing the tab.

I present to you an image for the
CULT OF THE COSMIC MUFFIN

Sorry in advance.

Love,

Me
ystell'bsna grah'n hupadgh cthulhu ytharanak n'gha

Image by Alan Bao (not me) http://alanbao.tumblr.com/
IRC 4 LYF

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

DEAR HEAVENS NO IT RENDS MY BEING ASUNDER!
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:00 pm

NO PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF AZATHOTH DO NO MAKE ME DRINK YOUR ARTISINAL LATTE WITH THAT ELDRITCH MUFFIN...
Plays for Keepers

WellMoustachioed
Freshman
Freshman

Post by WellMoustachioed » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Great show. Chad and Murf should have a regular bit called, "No, You're Wrong, and You Smell, and Your Mother Dresses You Funny- But I Still Love You, Man" (working title)

The section on alien tech and the Domination Serum reminded me of a Torchwood audio production that I listened to called, "Everyone Says Hello". All of a sudden, people in Cardiff stop what they are doing and start introducing themselves to each other. It's starts out funny and easy to pass off, "Hello. My name is Owen Smith. I live two streets over and I like beef vegetable soup." As it progresses, more and more people are locked into endless introductions and they start revealing hidden truths about themselves. "Hello. My name is Betty Hallwell. I murdered my first husband with rat poison for the insurance money." The climax of the story was pretty weak, but it was a side effect from alien tech that caused the whole thing. A similar plot with a Cthulhoid twist could make a great, unnerving game. The effects of the alien tech cut you off from everyone around you and it's only a matter of time before you too are affected.