MU Podcast 051 - Wacky Gadgets and the Wacko's that Use Them

Discussion about podcast episodes
BoscoBoy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 051 - Wacky Gadgets and the Wacko's that Use

Post by BoscoBoy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Since True Detective was mentioned in this show I'm adding a this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24

Worth watching.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 am

Great show guys even though one got lost on the way.

For conventions, other good things in addition to the great suggestion of the Halloween/Blood Brothers scenario collections would be the ones from either the Unspeakable Oath magazine (or Worlds of Cthulhu magazine), Bumps in the Night, or the Stunning Eldritch Tales (or the purist collection of scenarios)/Shadows over Filmland from Trail of Cthulhu.

Want some animal swarmy goodness, well there is one scenario out there which I've only heard 1.5 playthroughs of online called Murder of Crows.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/5 ... rs_id=6101

Try that scenario out as well as stealing stuff from some of the animal invasion movies of the 1970s as well as films like Prophecy (1979) which is a little bit between the animal swarm movies & Food of the Gods where the animals are a little bigger than usual.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Do Sisters of Sorrow and Our Ladies of Sorrow have any connection to Dario Argento's movie triology about the Three Mothers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Mothers
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm

fox01313 wrote:
Want some animal swarmy goodness, well there is one scenario out there which I've only heard 1.5 playthroughs of online called Murder of Crows.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/5 ... rs_id=6101

Try that scenario out as well as stealing stuff from some of the animal invasion movies of the 1970s as well as films like Prophecy (1979) which is a little bit between the animal swarm movies & Food of the Gods where the animals are a little bigger than usual.
Murder of Crows is not too bad. I ran it once at a convention, but due to the time constraints we kind of rushed it at the end and it went all pulpy on us. Ross Payton and Tom Church of Role Play Public Radio were players in that game. They recorded it and posted it here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2008/12/act ... -of-crows/

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:47 am

Great episode as usual.

If the topic of cults is ever revisited it would be interesting I think to involve Cabals and Cabalists in the discussion,just a thought.

..and what an awesome post Scriven,man you gotcha some of that book learnin.....
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Where to start, good episode apart from the arguement in the discussion about cults & cultists, that was a little disturbing.

The discussion of the Domination Serum and how it could be used made me think of the novel "Night Chills" by Dean R. Koontz, the scenario for which involves the test of a domination serum like drug on a small country town and what outsiders have to face when they stumble into it.

Surprised the gizmos section didn't cover any of the human created mythos gadgets that have appeared over the years.

Another way to mess with players heads is 21st century music in past guise. Imaging the PCs in a Gaslight or Classic Era game walking into a 'highbrow' concert and hearing this:

Lady Gaga: Poker Face (Arranged for Wind Quintet)

Also recommended for this is the 2005 album entitled "Ruby Blue", several of the tracks sound enough like Jazz to pass off as something heard in a nightclub. The eighth song has some possibly inspiring lyrics (Brackets cover words I'm not sure of.):

...unzip my body, take my heart out, because I need a beat to get wisdom (rhythm/with it/distant)
..a body swayed to music over the lightning black (frightening black)
...and if I need a rhythm it'll be to my heart I'll listen, if it don't put me too far wrong...
Last edited by Graham on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Hey Graham, thanks for the feedback and music leads. We definitely got bogged down in the definition of what a cult is there, and unfortunately ended up going in circles. I'm hoping Murph and I both raised some interesting points though? If you don't mind explaining, could you elaborate about what disturbed you in that discussion? Just curious.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

R.J. MacReady
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by R.J. MacReady » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 am

Listen, can't we all just agree on the mid-80s awesomeness of this cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”

― Werner Herzog

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:39 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:Hey Graham, thanks for the feedback and music leads. We definitely got bogged down in the definition of what a cult is there, and unfortunately ended up going in circles. I'm hoping Murph and I both raised some interesting points though? If you don't mind explaining, could you elaborate about what disturbed you in that discussion? Just curious.
Just the agression level in the long discussion about what a cult is or is not, the content though was interesting, I never knew that the definition of cult was quite that broad. I'm also surprised that "Walker in the Wastes" did not come up during the discussion, the discussion of the Ithaqua cult and how to present it covered most of the issues raised.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:10 am

That's totally fair, Graham. Hope it wasn't too off-putting. It would have been more useful to focus on concrete examples rather than broad abstractions. We talked briefly about it after the show recording, and thought some disagreement would be interesting for listeners to hear, but I also think we're all itching to come back to the topic again so we can cover lost ground.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers