MU Podcast 037 – Graveyards, Turnpikes, & Lovecraft Country

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 037 – Graveyards, Turnpikes, & Lovecraft Country

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:50 pm

We have another guest host for episode 37. This time it's Bret Kramer joining us to talk about his new e-Zine, The Arkham Gazette! We also talk about graveyards, turnpikes, and general Lovecraft Country coolness.

Campus Crier News:

"The Doom That Came To Atlantic City!" Fails after successful Kickstarter.
News Article

*UPDATE*
Cryptozoic is going to publish this game, so the Kickstarter backers will not lose their investment!
Link 1
Link 2
World War Cthulhu: The Darkest Hour is available for pre-order from Cubicle 7.

Mike Mason talks about the CoC 7e card decks on his Angry Zoog blog.

The Unspeakable Oath Subscription Drive

We have the Sleepless City contest results!
So, we’ve got our list of contestants for the Tales of the Sleepless City contest. This time we ran some kind of non-Euclidian social media algorithm, and ended up with our winner, Justine A!

Congratulations Justine. We’ll be getting in touch with you, and soon you’ll have a copy of this fine tome in your hands.

The official launch of Bret Kramer’s Lovecraft Country newsletter, the Arkham Gazette. So that’s the news, and stay tuned lots more on that topic. Get it here at Sentinel Hill Press
Our Atomic Age Cthulhu winner Gladius brings us this episode's History Lecture: Dyatlov Pass

The gaming schedule for NecronomiCon has been released!
Our Card Catalog for this episode is submitted by our guest co-host Bret. He has several links to some great galleries of historic graveyards of New England.

Farber Gravestone Collection

The "Spider Gate" Cemetery.
Article on Strange New England
Field Journal of Daniel V. Boudillion

Here is the Google Map of all the cemeteries that Bret has visited.

We didn't really end up with a definitive side topic. We intended to have a talk about the Arkham Gazette as the side, then Lovecraft Country as the main, but it all just blended together into one main discussion. While the conversation wanders all over the place, we all had a lot of fun. Here are the links we could find that were mentioned in the episode.
Bret's blog, Tomes in Progress

Bret's "publishing" site, Sentinel Hill Press
The blog of Jason Colavito. This the angry "skeptical xenoarchaeologist" Bret mentions in the interview.

Lovecraftian Sites in New England

Unreleased Call of Cthulhu supplements on the Yog-Sothoth Wiki.

Professor Edmund Delabarre of Brown University wrote the first book on Petroglyphs in 192. He'd make a great NPC resource for investigators. His book Recent history of Dighton rock (1919) is available on Archive.org.
Mi'kmaq hieroglyphs, also known as "Sucker Fish Writing".

The Official maps of New England (1921) Free on Archive.org.

The Monograph Bret wrote involving the Soviet military is Machine Tractor Station Kharkov-37.
Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion free download.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 037 – Graveyards, Turnpikes, & Lovecraft Coun

Post by Koakai » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Underground book railroad= A place called 'Ship Happens' which is just across the border from me. Cheaper to ship stuff there, especially when things come with free shipping to the continental US. Costs me five dollars to pick up, but half the time I can skip the tax I might have to pay if I go through the local post office.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:59 am

Great show. The Arkham Gazette is awesome.

I will finally return in the next show. My vacation is over. :D

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Hey guys,

I loved the show as always, good job to all involved. I have seen Bret Kramer’s “The Arkham Gazette” and was very impressed with it. I could not believe that it was a one man job. All Cthulhuheads need to get it. Also I loved the Atomic Age Cthulhu/1950s themed history lesson that Gladius did. Great job, Gladius.

Ia Ia and all that. :cthulhu1:
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Ya, the Gazette is obviously a labor of love. Already champing at the bit to see issue two, and can't wait to see what other contributors bring. I hear that the next theme will be Arkham, which is just awesome.

And I couldn't agree more about the Dyatlov segment. Great details from Gladius.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks, gents. Dr. Gerard really gave me some good suggestions to spice it up :)

WinstonP
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by WinstonP » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm glad folks liked the interview and the Gazette. :) Please consider making a submission to our next issue - http://sentinelhillpress.wordpress.com/ ... le-prizes/

I'm happy to work with new author to improve submissions and let you try the waters.

Tell your friends!

Here are a couple more links to stuff we talked about:

Delabarre's book on Dighton Rock from 1928 - http://archive.org/details/dightonrockstudy00dela

Indian Place Names of New England (1962) - http://archive.org/stream/indianplacenames00hude

viscounteric
Freshman
Freshman

Post by viscounteric » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 pm

If I learned anything from this episode, it's that I need to replace the Esoteric Order of Dagon with a Shriner's Temple in Innsmouth. Everyone knows The Shriners are the epitome of pure evil. All the hybrids are poor souls who need to get "corrective" surgeries. Plus I want the investigators chased out of town by Deep Ones wearing fezzes and driving little cars.

Great show!
The log of the CoC games http://gamingwiththegnomies.blogspot.com/p/call-of.html... and some gnomes.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 am

Great episode as always.

WinstonP - after hearing you talk, I realized there really isn't a good supplement on graveyards for CoC (that I can remember). In fact, the only scenario that springs to my mind right now is Closed Casket from Secrets. I'm sure there are more. Any recommendations from you on it? If not, I can't wait for your special issue on it. (I may even submit something too...have an idea thats been boiling around in my head for a while.)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

WinstonP
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by WinstonP » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 am

trevlix wrote:Great episode as always.

WinstonP - after hearing you talk, I realized there really isn't a good supplement on graveyards for CoC (that I can remember). In fact, the only scenario that springs to my mind right now is Closed Casket from Secrets. I'm sure there are more. Any recommendations from you on it? If not, I can't wait for your special issue on it. (I may even submit something too...have an idea thats been boiling around in my head for a while.)
Thanks!

There are plenty of scenarios involving cemeteries (and I know Dan Harms talks a bit about them in the forthcoming - we swear! - Ghouls: Eaters of the Dead); I've put together a list, of course...

(and these are just the Lovecraft Country/New England ones...)

Lovecraft Country
Dead of Night – Arkham Unveiled
Diggin’ Up the World - Ghouls: Eaters of the Dead preview pdf
Dust to Dust – Dead Reckonings
Regiment of Dread – Tales of the Miskatonic Valley
Spare the Rod - More Adventures in Arkham Country

New England
Grave Secrets – Terrors from Beyond
Invitation to the Dance – The Primal State (monograph); Whisperer #3
Provender of the God – The Realm of Shadow
Remains to be Seen – Coming Full Circle