MU Podcast 036 – Sammons and Celluloid

Discussion about podcast episodes
CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MU Podcast 036 – Sammons and Celluloid

Post by CthulhuDude » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Seconded on watching Angel Heart even if you know the ending. When I first watched it, even though I guessed the twist that was coming, I still loved it. The whole movie is just so well done that it’s worth the ride even if you know the destination.

Another movie I should have mentioned on the podcast is Humanoids from the Deep. Anyone see that slice of 80s drive-in awesomeness? Now I freely admit, I’m a bit of a 80s fanboy, so I might be a bit biased here, but I do love that movie. It’s basically Shadow Over Innsmouth, where they replace the Mythos with science! :science: As an added bonus, it has gore galore and lots of nudity. It is a very enjoyable B-movie produced by Roger Corman, the King of the B-flicks.
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Eibon
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Eibon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm going to put in a case for the movie "Let's Scare Jessica To Death" (1971). It's been described as a mix of "Carnival of Souls" and "Night of the Living Dead". It's a slow, cheap mood piece, but if you're in the right frame of mind then it's very effective. The plot is that Jessica has just got out of an asylum. Her husband has brought a farm in New England, the Bishop Farm, so she can gently re-intergrate with the modern world. The farm has a mill, which is the main building, when they arrive with their hippy friends, they find a woman squatting in the mill. They make friends and allow the woman to stay. The locals are unfriendly, zombie-like and all have strange wounds on their bodies.

They are told of a legend that a vampiric witch, the daughter of the Bishop's, drowned in the mill pool. When they find a picture of the dead girl, she looks like the squatter. The husband and the squatter seems to be getting close to each other. Jessica starts to become paranoid -- she sees dead bodies and a woman in a wedding dress floating in the mill pool. Is she mad or is the vampiric witch still haunting the countryside?

The Lovecraft elements are the New England Setting, the cursed house, Bishops, confusion over what is real and what is not, and surly yokels who don't want strangers messing with the ancient evil!

I'd like to see a good remake. One aspect of the movie which is hinted at, but not developed, is the idea that the husband is trying to get Jessica to have a second breakdown and therefore might be faking the whole thing. It's not a brilliant film, but if you are in the right mood or something in the vein of the BBC Christmas Ghost Stories, then this is a good Lovecraftian take.

"Eyes Without A Face" is a classic, but I always think of it as a tragedy rather than a horror film. Everyone is acting for the best, with the best of intentions, but the result is monstrous. It is also one of the most beautiful "horror" movies ever made. Edith Scob haunting the doctor's house in her while mask is heart-breaking. It is one of the three films which were received with horror by film critics in Britain, the others are "Peeping Tom" and "Psycho".

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:43 pm

My vote here for the Burrowers, excellent, fresh movie. Absentia is also good, specially the story, the production value of the movie is not as high as Burrowers. I need to watch the Tunnel.

Trevlix, I have watched Angel Heart at least 5 times, everytime I discover something new. One of my favorite horror movies.

One movie that strikes me as pure Lovecraft is "The last excorcism". People tend not to like this one, although I have never understand why. It has all the elements of a CoC scenario.

Another movie that I loved and is truly lovecraftian IMO is

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 am

"Angel Heart" also has a special edition which I found a bit better than the original. Check it. :arrow:

I've listened to several podcasts in the last 36 hours so I'm going to address a few things to Murph and Jon as I can't remember which podcast comments were made as per below.

(Murph): Glad you had fun in "Dockside Dogs". It's truly the type of investigation with a big moment at the end. Ruined for people who already know the secret, IMO.

(Jon): I believe the small "sword" used my Samurais was a Wakizashi.

http://www.handmadesword.com/samurai-wa ... QgodziMAjw

Great to hear Brian's perspective, too, on Cthulhu. I've run 3 of the 4 of his short adventures ("Secrets") for my group. I started a campaign in 1925 in the SF Bay Area (using Secrets of San Francisco) as we're all in the Bay Area or used to be there.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Good to see SECRETS is still being read by someone. I hope you liked it. One question:

"Great to hear Brian's perspective, too, on Cthulhu. I've run 3 of the 4 of his short adventures ("Secrets") for my group. I started a campaign in 1925 in the SF Bay Area (using Secrets of San Francisco) as we're all in the Bay Area or used to be there."

Hmm, did you run my scenario, "The Colour of his Eyes" from the San Fran book? If so, what did you think of it? If not, why not!!!! Ha, just kidding. See = ;)
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:46 am

CthulhuDude wrote:Good to see SECRETS is still being read by someone. I hope you liked it. One question:

"Great to hear Brian's perspective, too, on Cthulhu. I've run 3 of the 4 of his short adventures ("Secrets") for my group. I started a campaign in 1925 in the SF Bay Area (using Secrets of San Francisco) as we're all in the Bay Area or used to be there."

Hmm, did you run my scenario, "The Colour of his Eyes" from the San Fran book? If so, what did you think of it? If not, why not!!!! Ha, just kidding. See = ;)
I loved that scenario, and ripped it off for an Arizona adventure surrounding Percival "Mars Canal" Lowell. An awesome concept you used there - put me in the mind of "From Beyond." Cody G. Did a great job in that book, too.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 am

Yo Brian,

I loooove SECRETS b/c you can run them in an evening session or extend it if the group is intrigued. "Closed Casket" turned into a 50 hour campaign and was used as a springboad idea which I expanded to fit the SF Bay Area.

"A Love in Need" was played about as one would expect although a PC was bargained away.

"Unsealed Room" went as expected, too. They fell for the standard idea that Brian mentioned.

I could go into more details but then there would be spoilers. :)

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 am

I'm happy the SECRETS scenarios went over well for you and your players. And I also like the idea of quick, mini-adventures that can be played in a single night, or be expanded upon if the Keeper wants. So if you liked the little stories in SECRETS, keep your eyes open for DOORS TO DARKNESS, a book I headed up for Chaosium and Call of Cthulhu as it will contain 5 smallish scenarios by 5 different authors, all targeted (and play tested) to be played in a single session. It should be out soonish...I hope.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 am

Nice!

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks for the great show & the reminder on how good & creepy Angel Heart is (which to me gives me the same little supernatural chills to a lesser degree with two rather underrated films of Johnny Depp's films Secret Window & Ninth Gate).

Did want to share this one recent find summarized in a link below about the film The Thing as it was rather mindblowing to me (Needless to say the spoiler text & the link will spoil the ending to those who haven't seen this.) along with what happens at the end with the drinks & who's drinking what.

http://io9.com/5985319/could-this-be-th ... -the-thing

Now I really want to find some of my friends of friends who aren't into horror films & sit The Thing movie down with them to see how they react to it :cthulhu2: .

edit & ps- completely forgot about this film (& rewatching it now years later) called Slither from 2006 that's quite Lovecraftian in nature along with Nathan Fillion. Link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0LiSIJIDgU
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)