MU Podcast 035 – 7th Ed Postmortem

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 035 – 7th Ed Postmortem

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Now that the 7th Edition Kickstarter has wrapped up, in Episode 35 we talk with Mike Mason about the whole process and the long road ahead. Plus, a new history lecture, a boatload of news and a trip to the moving pictures for a sponsored side topic.

Campus Crier
  • The Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter finished with more than 1000% backing. The goal was $40,000, and they finished out with $561,836. That's 1,404% funding!
    Update! Chaosium just announced that they actually reached the final $565,000 Stretch Goal via backers submitting through PayPal for last-minute purchases.
    We make the mistake in thinking in the Crier that Numenera topped the RPG Kickstarter list, it's actually Exalted.
  • By the time this show drops, Sandy Petersen’s Cthulhu Wars is complete, with $1,403,981, at 3,509% funding! Over a million dollars! Congratulations to Sandy and his crew!
  • Because of reasons, the Cephalophobia Newsletter is going to become the Cephalophobia Yearbook. We've decided that we make a better product by shifting to a year-end publication, rather than trying make it quarterly. This "yearbook" will aim to represent the podcast and its community. Content will come from submissions we've received so far, submissions that come in between now and December 31, 2013, and the most compelling content from the MUP Campus Forum. In the case of posts from the Forum, we'll contact the authors to ask their permission to adapt their material for Cephalophobia. We're shooting for an initial publication date of January 31, 2014. We'll plan to post a PDF teaser/preview on the Forum in August so our contributors have a sense of how the project is shaping up. We'll revise the existing Call for Submissions to reflect the new concept for Cephalophobia.
  • Unspeakable Oath 23 is on the way!
  • Plus, here's a new Kickstarter for a Cthulhu RPG soundscape.
Card Catalog

This week’s hidden online resource for keepers is -- 20s slang sites.

There are plenty to choose from, but here's one of our favorites. Or check out this one, or this one (which has fun pictures!)
We also mention the Mandarin used in Firefly. A complete list is here.
The Signal Podcast also has a regular segment with audio instruction on the pronunciation of the Chinese used in Firefly.

Lecture Series

This week, Dr. Gerard covers “Indonesian Hopping Zombies.”
Chinese hopping vampires mixed with Robocop: Robo Vampire And you can subject yourself to the whole movie here!

Sponsored Side Topic

This week, forum and MUP AP superstar Toni suggested we cover Lovecraft-inspired film, like From Beyond, Cast A Deadly Spell, Evil Dead and many others.

A long stream-of consciousness discussion of films ensues. We'd like to continue this discussion on the forum because, well, we missed a lot. Nevertheless, here's a rundown of some of the ones we talked about. (Full movie on YouTube here!) (Trailer on Youtube here.) this movie is available to stream on Netflix. (Full movie on YouTube here!) (Part 1 of he full movie on YouTube here!) (Preview here.) (Trailer here.)

Keeper Chad heard about Castle Freak as a running gag on the hilarious podcast called The Flop House. (Trailer here.) (Watch here.) (Trailer here.) (Watch the whole enchilada on YouTube here.) (Watch the trailer here.) (Watch on YouTube here.) (Trailer here.) NES Life Force (Ok, it's not a movie. It's not even a good game. Like we said -- stream of consciousness.)

And if you're interested in seeing more Lovecraftian short films, animations and movie trailers, check out the Youtubez channel called "Arkham Drive-in" (not mentioned on the show).

Main Topic

For our main topic, here's our final chat about the 7th Edition Kickstarter with Mike Mason. (By the way, he's got an awesome blog called Angry Zoog and you can find it here.)

We mention Fez-o-Rama, makers of the Silver Twilight fez. They have a lot of Cthulhu-centric items in their catalog!

Here is a nice Stratigraph to give folks an idea of what the Mythos one may look like, or at least the idea of what one is.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: MU Podcast 035 – 7th Ed Postmortem

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 pm

I wish I was on the show...

JOHN CARPENTER'S: THE THING!

Come one guys!!! Wake up!!!

:mrgreen:

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:I wish I was on the show...

JOHN CARPENTER'S: THE THING!
Well Sparky, I was trying to limit the discussion to movies with direct Lovecraft references or adaptations. SOME of us wanted to wander into talking about all the horror movies we like in the world.

So um...denied.

:mrgreen:
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:38 pm

My grandfather belonged to some sort of lodge and for as long as I can remember growing up it was hanging around the house. It was the real deal, deep red colour, silk lined with an enormous tassel attached..true story.

How’s that for random! :o
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 am

Another excellent podcast fellows. Great pacing, great subject matter, great interviews.

On the favorites Lovecraft flick front...
The Resurrected is a really great flick. Kinda feels a bit dated now, but the subterranean scene is pretty frikken good.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:18 am

Good list of films, chaps!

Some of my favourite Lovecraftian films have been shorts. They tend to be low-budget affairs, but what they lack in polish they make up for in ambition and imagination.

Off the top of my head, I recommend:

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Out of Mind

Very good...
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 am

About halfway through the podcast, but just finished the movies section.

I'm glad Dr. Gerard brought up The Ruins, but please, please, read the book. It is so much better than the movie. I refused to watch the movie (still haven't) because I found out they made the ending more "Hollywood". Hell, I have the novel. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

For another good, Lovecraftian-like movie, I'll throw in The Relic. Very pulpy, but could easily fit into a CoC game.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 am

trevlix wrote:About halfway through the podcast, but just finished the movies section.

I'm glad Dr. Gerard brought up The Ruins, but please, please, read the book. It is so much better than the movie. I refused to watch the movie (still haven't) because I found out they made the ending more "Hollywood". Hell, I have the novel. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

For another good, Lovecraftian-like movie, I'll throw in The Relic. Very pulpy, but could easily fit into a CoC game.
I'll second that recommendation, Trevlix. I actually listened to the audiobook of The Ruins -- had to sit for 30 extra minutes in my driveway after work more than once because I didn't want to turn off the car and interrupt the book... Never saw the movie.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 am

trevlix wrote:
Oh, hey, I never knew they made a movie adaptation of Relic. Yes, that would make a good scenario. The book was good, and the sequel, Reliquary, would provide some great raw material for a CoC adventures well... Not great literature, but definitely a fun read.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who