MU Podcast Episode 033 - Sowing Scenario Seeds

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast Episode 033 - Sowing Scenario Seeds

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 pm

ImageIn this episode, we've got an extended Campus Crier segment with lots of updates on the 7th Edition and Island of Ignorance Kickstarters, with good news for our author-in-residence, Keeper Jon. Then, we hear some insider insight about how to spin your ideas into fully-fledged scenarios to run for your group.

This episode is shorter than most, but we think it still has fun discussion and content. Behind the scenes issues lead to the exclusion of some of our other usual side bits.

Campus Crier

With only moments to spare in the Kickstarter, Jon's scenario made into the Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion! Congratulations!

Meanwhile, Call of Cthulhu 7e Kickstarterhas been plowing through its stretch goals.

Dan issues a second notice that we'll be pulling our feed off of Feedburner. Please note: you probably won't notice. Most subscriptions will just continue normally. If anything happens, let us know right away and resubscribe using the link on this page. For more information, check out this excellent explanation from the Audacity to Podcast.

And an eldritch thanks to our new show sponsors, Toni (TAK on the forum) and R.J. MacReady. Much appreciated, guys. Listener support is totally keeping this little podcast ship afloat.

Card Catalog

Introducing our hidden online resource for Keepers:

The University of Texas Libraries maps archive. There are zillions of wicked-awesome historical maps here. Check 'em out!

Main Topic

This week's topic comes to us via a forum post from Trevlix, who asked:
I would love to hear you guys talk about sources of inspiration. It seems that I come up with a great idea for a scenario (to me at least), then I get to writing it and get discouraged part-way through. How do you guys stay inspired and where do you get ideas from? (Apart from the awesome history lessons on the podcast).
Jon walks us through his process for getting scenario ideas onto the page. As an example, he tells us about a work-in-progress surrounding Theodore Roosevelt's famous expedition into the Amazon basin.

For reference, you can find books on the topic from YSDC forum fixture FNH here, and here. If you want to hear FNH read the whole book of Through the Brazilian Wilderness, listen to the Cthulhu Podcast starting with episode 32 and finishing in episode 116.

And check out FNH's book on Henry M. Stanley in Africa here.

We also mention an actual play from Role Playing Public Radio, where the gang playtests a WWI scenario that is set for release by Pagan Publishing, "Dig to Victory".
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

gmbaal
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MU Podcast Episode 033 - Sowing Scenario Seeds

Post by gmbaal » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I have to say this was one of my favorite episodes to date. It was really useful for me as I am working on getting a scenario that I've been working on for Cthulhu Dark Ages. I've ran it a few times and they have been successful. So thank you for the advice Jon.

It did stem a question however. For us beginners, for the average publisher what kind of word count for the rough draft should we try to keep the scenario as a whole? Just a ballpark for starting out.
GMBaal

"Sheer Volume's Lament, the darkness in crept,
My mind never wakes, My dreams, screams, shakes...

When the wind howls no more, The fiend is at my door..."

Azimer the Mad
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Azimer the Mad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Is the Greek island scenario in print ANYWHERE? It sounds absolutely amazing.

Also, is there any way for those of us who missed the Kickstarter to get "Bumps in the Night?"

Amazing Podcast. I'm listening to the archive to get myself psyched for 7th. Slobbering Shoggoths away! :cthulhudance:

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:31 am

Azimer the Mad wrote:Is the Greek island scenario in print ANYWHERE? It sounds absolutely amazing.
If that refers to the scenario as described by ASG, sadly not. Pagan releases amazingly cool stuff on an infrequent basis. Patience is required.
Azimer the Mad wrote:Also, is there any way for those of us who missed the Kickstarter to get "Bumps in the Night?"

Amazing Podcast. I'm listening to the archive to get myself psyched for 7th. Slobbering Shoggoths away! :cthulhudance:
Bumps in the Night is in regular distribution now. At least, my local FLGS (in Canada) got one in. So if you make some inquiries you should be able to get ahold of a copy.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Wow..didn't realize my question spawned the discussion. Very cool!

I love hearing about how others sit down and create scenarios - great talk on this. I'll probably listen to this again to take more notes.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:16 am

Another informative podcast!
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:56 am

If anyone has any specific questions about something I said, or just any question at all, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer it.