MU Podcast 032 - New Orleans Mythos!

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 032 - New Orleans Mythos!

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun May 26, 2013 5:30 pm

We take a trip down to Inspector LeGrasse' stomping grounds in the Big Easy ! We even have a local to guide us around the area and point out the features of the Crescent City. It's corruption, ghouls, swampland and Hurricane cocktails at O'Brien's in episode 32 of MUP.

We recorded this episode using a new recording technique that allows us to have a separate audio track for each host. There are still a few bugs to work out of the process though, so echo and some odd dialog overlap or drifting may have gotten through the editing process. There is also a little clipping in the audio files, which sounds like static or scratchiness, so please bear with us as we get the new system tweaked.

Campus Crier
May 8 2013 saw our 100th member join on the forum, Creatureslagoon!

Chad shares his time at 1d4Con!
He shared a table with some fellow podcasters. Here are links to their shows:http://www.deathd4dishonor.com/Death D4 Dishonor Podcast

Gray Area Podcast

Jon talks about a new CoC fan zine: Shudde M'ell Confidential

The Double Shadow covers Ubbo-Sathla!

Only 2 days left on Island of Ignorance: The Third Cthulhu Companion!

Fez-O-Rama has a new Cthulhu Fez!
TheSepia Cthulhu

And a limited Hellboy Fez!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lod0WL-cWlk&feature=youtu.be
Restored by the HPLHS on YouTube
Worldwide Wireless Newsreel - Antarctic Expedition

Loving Lovecraft: Nebraska Teens Host Life-Size ‘Arkham Horror’ Game

Innsmouth House Updates

To celebrate YSDC's 15th birthday we've produced an 8 gigabyte credit card-sized memory stick emblazoned with images of both Great Cthulhu and H.P. Lovecraft. Besides fitting comfortably in your wallet or purse, this USB stick also comes with a range of extra goodies pre-loaded at no extra expense, including:

8 GB USB Memory Stick.

Tatters of the King & Shadows by Gaslight game campaign recordings.
The Fungi from Yuggoth poetry readings.

Over 6 gigabytes of stuff - £19.99

YSDC GAMES DAY

THRILL! at a day of “All Cthulhu, all the time”!

GASP! at a range of Call of Cthulhu games for you to play with "Olde Yoggie" and friends.

SHOP! at the Innsmouth House stall and see what we have to offer, including tasty treats, special items and discounts (and don’t forget to pick up your free badge when you hand in your ticket).

Saturday, 29th June for a day of Cthulhu gaming and chat! £12.50

Call of Cthulhu Archaeologists Handbook- by Helen MacLean

A career in ruins…

Welcome to The Archaeologist's Handbook, a handy tome for all armchair adventurers who want to know more about playing characters who delve into the past and discover ancient treasures (or fascinating insights).

This book provides a firm framework for archaeology-based adventures and characters. Inside these pages you will find a trove of knowledge about the history of archaeology, field and laboratory techniques, famous sites, museums and more. Spiced with a few devious suggestions for play, this handy-sized volume will prove a boon to player and game master alike.

The Archaeologist's Handbook is written by a professional archaeologist with more than a decade of experience in both archaeology and roleplaying games.

Spiral bound A5 softcover publication, printed on high quality 170gsm paper. Colour covers, acetate cover sheet, 80pp.

£11.99

Dan is getting the show off of Feedburner. As such, there is the potential for issues with main podcast feed in future. To be guaranteed that this will not happen, you can remove your current subscription and resubscribe using the links to the right.

Murf is officially attending Necronomicon! Many thanks to forum member GrizzledVeteran for being willing to put up with the Murph. We'll send along his care and feeding instructions before the convention.

Card Catalog
This week’s hidden online resource for keepers is:

The Strandbeest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj7mj5rjmss

Adam Savage building a Japanese model kit of a Strandbeest.
Where I discovered the Strandbeest- Tested.com showing a build day with Adam Savage.

Sodaplay is a system for building wireframe models of life forms in the computer.

In the conversation, we also mention the majestic Skywhale with a squad of parajumping Huntsman Spiders.

We have a new contest!
We really want to promote the 50s era as a setting, so here’s what we’re going to do. Send in your ideas for a 1950s History Lecture segment. One or two paragraphs is fine, just try to give us the gist. Chad will pick his top three favorite ideas, and we’ll put them up on the forum for a poll. The winner will get their idea made into a script for a segment, and you can choose whether or not you want to record it yourself or just have Dr. Gerard do it. But either way, you’ll get a physical copy of the Atomic Age Cthulhu book sent to you as a prize.

We’ll take ideas until June 9th, and then we’ll have a poll open for another week, through June 16th. Results announced in Episode 34.

Submit your entries to: Contest@mu-podcast.com

We have a new lecture from Dr. Gerard on the 1952 DC UFO Incident

Review-
Crypts_and_Things RPG. Requested by GrizzledVeteran

For the main topic, we talk with New Orleans Mythos (or Matt, as his family calls him) about using the history rich city he's from as a setting for Call of Cthulhu games.

Matt's gaming group has their characters online.

Arcturus “Art” Skwisgaar

Langston August “Augie” Eames IV

Published CoC books with the Crescent City:

Secrets of New Orleans

Mansions of Madness (The Plantation)

The Great Old Ones (Tell Me, Have You Seen the Yellow Sign)
Another great book about the 1920s while the city was gripped in fear:
The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans
By Rick Geary

Grunch links

http://www.hauntedneworleanstours.com/hauntedroads/grunchroad/

http://thedemoniacal.blogspot.com/2009/06/grunch.html

http://www.ginalanier.com/Chupacabara.php
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 032 - New Orleans Mythos!

Post by TAK » Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Finally!
You forced me to listen to Ken And Robin, which always means lost money for me :P
(speaking of them, I have Microscope which they are talking about in their latest show, so if you wanna test it ever, let me know)

Anyway, I might or might not comment after I've heard the show.

NewOrleansMythos
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by NewOrleansMythos » Mon May 27, 2013 2:11 pm

This is a work in progress. Please feel free to suggest improvements -

SOUTH LOUISIANA GHOUL

Facing different environmental challenges than the typical New England ghoul, the south Louisiana ghoul has learned and adapted. The earth is soft, spongy, and below sea level in the Crescent City’s bowl. These ghouls forego their innate burrowing behavior to walk among the masses. The cornucopia of human meat is too plentiful to stand on tradition, and the above-ground graves provide an easy-access grizzly buffet.

In earlier times the Louisiana ghoul, unable to hide it’s hideous appearance, was relegated to the swamps and rural areas to feed on Cajun grave sites and the local fauna. Given it’s hunched bipedal canine appearance, the Louisiana ghoul would often be mistaken by locals for rougarou (or loup garou), a kind of werewolf of the southern wilds. Given time and the ghoul’s rapid adaptive abilities, it evolved minor shape-shifting abilities. This was necessary for the ghoul to press further into the more densely populated areas under an almost-human disguise. By the 1920’s the Louisiana ghoul had penetrated the heart of New Orleans, walking among the masses, disguised as hobos, street urchins, painters and musicians. Some even integrated further, running butcher shops and cemeteries. Though a great many Louisiana ghouls migrated to the Big Easy, some retained their wilder roots and remained in Lafourche, Terrebonne Parishes, and Plaquemines Parishes. It has been whispered by some that wild ghouls were involved in the sacrifices and cult rituals uncovered by Inspector LeGrasse in the 1907 raid.

Not all south Louisiana ghouls are free to move as they please. Since the defeat of Eihort in New England (See, THE PALE GOD by Kevin A. Ross, “The Great Old Ones”), the Great Old one reestablished herself underneath Lake Pontchartrain in a series of unnatural tunnels leading to the jazz clubs and vacation houses on the lake shore. Eihort frequently summons packs of ghouls from the Louisiana wilds to bring human victims underneath the Lake for brood impregnation. Bostonian painter, and recent ghoul, Richard Upton Pickman, has taken a special interest in breaking Eihort’s hold on his people. The wild ghouls, however, do not wish to be "saved." Pickman learned of the situation in New Orleans when Miskatonic University began its joint venture with Loyola University. Pickman will often select a particularly promising investigator to assist (for a small price . . . usually a finger). In the meantime, a local war is brewing between the city ghouls and the savage thralls of Eihort.

City Ghoul (Shape Shifter)

char. roll
STR 3D6+3
CON 2D6+3
SIZ 3D6
INT 2D6+8
POW 2D6+6
DEX 2D6+6
Move 9

Avg. Damage Bonus: +1D4

Claws: 30%, damage 1D6+ damage bonus
Bite 30%, damage 1D6 (no worry)
Can also use any weapon used by humans

Spells: more sophisticated city ghouls can perform any number of spells that the keeper chooses

Shapeshift: can assume an almost human form, repressing canine features, for 24 hours after feeding (use Disguise Skill)

Skills: Disguise 65%, Burrow 15%, Climb 80%, Hide 75%, Jump 70%, Listen, 70%, Scent Decay 65%, Sneak 85%, Spot Hidden 55%

Sanity Loss: 0/1D6 to see ghoul in ghoul form.

Armor: firearms and projectiles to half rolled damage (rounding up)

Wild Ghoul (Faux Rougarou)

char. roll
STR 4D6+6
CON 3D6+6
SIZE 2D6+8
INT 2D6+3
POW 3D6
DEX 3D6+6
Move 10

Avg. Damage Bonus: +2D4

Claws: 35%, damage 1D6+ damage bonus
Bite 35%, damage 1D6 + automatic worry

Spells: none

Skills: Burrow 40%, Climb 80%, Hide 75%, Jump 75%, Listen, 75%, Scent Decay 70%, Sneak 85%, Spot Hidden 50%

Sanity Loss: 1/1D6+1 to see wild ghoul

Armor: firearms and projectiles to half rolled damage (rounding up)
Last edited by NewOrleansMythos on Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Dudes. Ragging on Nebraska? Seriously? Not cool. ;)
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

NewOrleansMythos
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by NewOrleansMythos » Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Scriven, If I recall, I was in Nebraska's court amid the ragging. Thanks for listening. :fhtagn:

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Crypts and Things? Who the hell has heard of that? How many times have I mentioned Lamentations of the Flame Princess? Why would you settle for a lesser version (tho I think I will steal the sanity loss and spell casting sanity loss for my game... especially if you try some of the spells from Carcosa... woo, boy)? :evil:

And if you want James Raggi on your podcast, I'm sure he wouldn't have any issues with that and considering Free RPG Day is coming with the latest FREE LotFP product, Better Than Any Man (funded via Kickstarter) is available in 9000 print copies, now is the perfect time to get him on!

BTW, ever consider the use of Obsidian Portal for the actual plays? Character stuff and wiki and such might be cool.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm

This one inspired me....lots of really cool details about the area! I'm working on a Grunch sketch now, and I'll post it up here when it's done. I have shirked a lot of paying work because of this podcast (more than my wife should ever, ever know!), but it's so bloody fun! :P

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Believe me Ian, it's appreciated! :bow:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 am

Just finished listening to this episode -- GREAT show. Matt brought a lot of insight and valuable gaming experience to the conversation. I hope he'll be featured again on future installments.

It would be totally awesome to feature Louisiana ghouls in the MUP Newsletter -- maybe a slightly expanded version of what Matt has posted here?
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Wed May 29, 2013 6:32 am

Scriven wrote:Just finished listening to this episode -- GREAT show. Matt brought a lot of insight and valuable gaming experience to the conversation. I hope he'll be featured again on future installments.
+1