MUP Live Play- No Man's Land

Discussion about podcast episodes
Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MUP Live Play- No Man's Land

Post by Howard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 am

Entertainment central. Really enjoying this game. I like how you guys read all of the box text. Sometimes in Actual Play, those parts get summarized and I think it takes away some quality writing. Cheers. I'm liking Keeper Murph's style. There's no real "Bad" style of running a game, I just like how Murph is pointing out things, to a degree, so the party(and the listeners)don't get lost. Happy birthday Hugh, great when you took down the crazy butcher knife lady(I think you took her down, I remember you took a shot at her). :)

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 am

Just finished the whole show. Although it was entertaining to listen to you guys play some CoC, you left me thinking there is nothing appealing about playing this scenario. As a player, having to roll up multiple characters totally destroys the aspect(my favorite) of "character development". The grey area of what kind of character to create I don't think would have helped the outcome. As a keeper, there is nothing worse(IMO)than not finishing the game I just read and prepared, whether the party goes too off track or they all die. Either way, I would be left feeling that I did something wrong. This game has a good setting with some good mythos, I would have to rip it apart and make it better. Going ByTheBook is obviously wrong. The wrap-up conversation was good stuff. Old school D&D is deadly, if you run those old modules BtB.

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm

This was a hoot. It's a tough, and very different kind of scenario -- Kudos to Murf and the crew for taking it on. No Man's Land was, I believe, the first commercially-published scenario I ever bought, and since reading it I'd had a great deal of difficulty imagining how it could be feasibly run. I see this as a limitation of my own capacity and flexibility rather than a flaw in the scenario itself. That said, I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to listen to it in actual play. I'm still not sure I'd take on the challenge of running it myself, but I learned a lot from your recording of the game.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Thanks for the 'wishes Howard,It was a blast playing the scenario.I have to admit I was more nervous than a virgin at a prison rodeo at first but after a while it was like the lads were in the room with me.

Howard wrote:Entertainment central. Really enjoying this game. I like how you guys read all of the box text. Sometimes in Actual Play, those parts get summarized and I think it takes away some quality writing. Cheers. I'm liking Keeper Murph's style. There's no real "Bad" style of running a game, I just like how Murph is pointing out things, to a degree, so the party(and the listeners)don't get lost. Happy birthday Hugh, great when you took down the crazy butcher knife lady(I think you took her down, I remember you took a shot at her). :)
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Great game indeed and great job by Murph, I'm glad to have been a part of it.
:cthulhudance:

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:24 pm

I can admit that I ran this for a few different reasons that I did not mention here already. The main driving force was that I wanted to kill some players. That being said, this is a great campaign to accomplish that and not piss off the players in the process.

Something else I should admit, is that most of those early deaths, should not have happened. Had I the opportunity to redo them I might change a few things to allow the characters to survive longer at a stretch. The scenario actually informs the keeper to keep the players alive until a certain point, and then the kid gloves come off and the murdering begins. I ignored that and just started killing people. I didn't do it undeservedly, I let my dice do it for me, and I loved every moment of it.

So if you get tired of your players whining about this or that, this is the scenario to punch them back in line without pissing them off in the process. It was loads of fun for me and I am willing to bet that it was loads of fun for the players as well.
:D :cthulhu2: