MUP 142 – Tome Much of a Good Thing

Discussion about podcast episodes
Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
MUP 142 – Tome Much of a Good Thing

Post by Graham » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 pm

In this episode, Dan, Jon and Murph dive into the old Special Collections vault to talk about tomes as story points. Plus, we have more audio segments from contributors, news and more! This episode was recorded on March 29, 2018.

Download

Campus Crier

The Campus Crier is Miskatonic U’s student paper. Here’s where we go through Mythos related news and feedback to the podcast. This episode was recorded on March 29, 2018.

Chaosium announced last week that they will be Kick Starting a new board game by Reiner Knizia and Greg Stafford. Miskatonic University: The Restricted Collection is the company’s first foray into board games in 37 years. Thanks to Chaosium’s continued pre-launch updates we have also got some looks at the game mats in their final form. The Kickstarter is set to launch in April, and you can find links to everything in the show notes as always.

This just in from Bret Kramer of Sentinel Hill Press: “The Arkham Gazette 2 has been raised up from its essential saltes and is now available on DTRPG. This issue was about Innsmouth and for $12 you get a pdf with over a dozen articles and a scenario. Print version coming soon” Also, Bret has a new $3 patron level on his Patreon page. “Vile Minions” will get all the lower level Sentinel Hill Press rewards plus an occasional post-card, short letter or possibly a few pages from an upcoming release. Links to find out more about both are in the show notes.

Reports are coming in that the Raiders of R’lyeh RPG, which launched back in August of 2013 and we covered initially on Episode 38, has started showing up in people’s hands in the last few days. So if you are a backer be on the lookout. Congrats to creator Quentin Bauer for getting it out the door finally.

Modiphius has released the next installment of their Living Campaign for Achtung Cthulhu. The scenario is called The Blessed of the Wind and is by Richard August, and centers around a Nazi troopship that is anchored in a nearby fjord. The scenario is free and available to members of the Living Campaign at Modiphius.

A new kickstarter for Maximum Apocalypse: Gothic Horrors Expansion, for the popular card game Maximum Apocalypse, has been funded in two hours. The update will allow player to “[f]ace off against life draining vampires, ghouls and werewolves in a classic monster set or try and stop a bunch of cultists from summoning Cthulhu or other unspeakable Lovecraftian horrors.”
They have already funded and are just chasing stretch goals for the remaining 27 days.

Last episode Chris Spivey mentioned that a shop in Brooklyn called Anyone Comics was going to host a special game day for Harlem Unbound. Well, our very own Keeper Chad stopped by to check it out. He reports that the event was well attended, with two game tables set up in a basement room of the comics shop, with a total of about 15 players – their biggest attendance for “Indie RPG Day” yet since starting last year. Chad ended up playing a 4-hour session of a scenario seed from the book called “Blood is Blood,” and had a blast. There is even talk among attendees of a spinoff local group to keep playing Harlem Unbound. Shout out again to Anyone Comics for hosting! “Anyone” who wants to check for upcoming “Indie RPG Game Days” should check out the store’s Facebook page.

A BIG THANK YOU TO SEAN for editing this episode!

Segments:

We have three episodes of ongoing segments from MU Nation.

We open a window into Ancient Roman weirdness with another dispatch from Oscarius Tabularis. This time, we travel across the Mediterranean to Carthage for a parable of a….marine nature…
Get ready to carve some heavy metal graffiti into your desks as we head back to detention hall for Part Two of Mr. Tyler’s gamer-eyed view of the story “Earth to Earth.” Here’s the for Mr. Tyler’s Blog, Skullduggery in the Smoke!
We have another segment on horror folklore in Japan from Jonathan. This episode is about the legend of the “Slit-Mouthed Woman.”

Card Catalogue:
Hi Guys, I’ve stumbled across an archive site devoted to comic books that fell into the public domain, thought it might make a useful addition to the cardfile. The comics can be viewed online, but you need to register to the site if you want to download them. – Graham
Topic

Tomes: Are they simply diaries to impart knowledge, spells, etc, or can they be used in different ways? Can a tome be the central focus of a scenario (the tome is the source of the horror/mystery)?
Also, what is a tome? How does language affect the tome?

Along the way, we mention:

Darkhold, a fictional grimoire appearing Marvel comic books.

Flag Books, a thing you should just click on the link to find out what it is.

Unusual bindings for possible Mythos tomes.

And a Pinterest collection of strange tomes to check out.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MUP 142 – Tome Much of a Good Thing

Post by flashbackjuice » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 am

For anyone curious about the creepy voice of the Kuchisake Onna in the segment: that part was voiced by my wife. :twisted:

KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MUP 142 – Tome Much of a Good Thing

Post by KeeperAntUK » Wed May 02, 2018 4:29 am

I love me a tome I do :-)

When I design a 'tome' I ask myself a couple of questions - 1) Why does this thing exist? 2) Does it have to be a book?

1) is important to me. I like to have a reason it exists in the game world, and also a reason for it to be in the scenario. I am less inclined to buy into a big 'ol Book of Dark Magic, than one that does something for the Writer. A book of research is a good example of this.

I also like the tome to be integral to the story. A particular spell or effect is good for this (though I try to avoid the obvious' The Ritual Wot Does the Summoning/Banishment if I can), I have used a tome to hide a cure for a bad guy effect for example. I also use it to hide clues to the reality in the game. Something that is not in the subject matter, but part of the book itself. Handwriting for example.

No. 2 is interesting, if it's not a book or similar written matter. I've used artworks and things as tomes. Other written things like reports, or recordings also work.

Really interesting ep guys :-)