MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Discussion about podcast episodes
Morthrai
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:26 pm
Location: Bromsgrove, UK.
Contact:

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Morthrai » Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi guys, thanks for mentioning that we have the Protodimension Magazine back issues available again. While we struggle onwards trying to learn layout and so forth for the pilot issue of The Dark Times fanzine we are grateful for any and all support in the creative community-

Cheers all! :D
Lee Williams.
The Dark Times Fanzine
"There is more to darkness than the sun going down."

Birmy
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Birmy » Mon May 29, 2017 2:37 am

I wound up playing in that Gatsby and the Great Race event at Nexus--three tables altogether--and it was an exhausting night for players and keepers alike. It was my first time playing outside of the demo, and it's a hell of an introduction. I, naturally, went insane just long enough to get myself brutally killed. I can do a session report once the post-con recuperation kicks in if anyone's interested.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:58 am
Contact:

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by trevlix » Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 pm

One of the best b-movie resources is badmovies.org. Been going strong for almost 20 years.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Birmy wrote:I wound up playing in that Gatsby and the Great Race event at Nexus--three tables altogether--and it was an exhausting night for players and keepers alike. It was my first time playing outside of the demo, and it's a hell of an introduction. I, naturally, went insane just long enough to get myself brutally killed. I can do a session report once the post-con recuperation kicks in if anyone's interested.
Yes please! We might even quote it in next show if I think of it two weeks from now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Graham » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:33 am

I have found on YouTube a copy of 'The World Beyond' if anyone wants to see the second pilot, which rather sadly seems to have been the only one recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjM40LU8XI
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Graham wrote:I have found on YouTube a copy of 'The World Beyond' if anyone wants to see the second pilot, which rather sadly seems to have been the only one recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjM40LU8XI
Nice find. This really looks like a series pilot turned into a movie of the week. Also reminds me of Stephen King's Dead Zone...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

SerpentineOwl
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by SerpentineOwl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:53 pm

You guys missed a really bad Horror movie. It was supposed to be a psychological slow burn with mounting dread, but in the end there's no real payoff.

Here's the synopsis - A college aged man dies and instead of moving on he returns and haunts his parents and his brother, wrecking their lives. It's such a shame the movie was bad, because it wasted a great cast (Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton).

I think it was called Ordinary People.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:41 pm

SerpentineOwl wrote:You guys missed a really bad Horror movie. It was supposed to be a psychological slow burn with mounting dread, but in the end there's no real payoff.

Here's the synopsis - A college aged man dies and instead of moving on he returns and haunts his parents and his brother, wrecking their lives. It's such a shame the movie was bad, because it wasted a great cast (Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton).

I think it was called Ordinary People.
MTM FTW.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Graham » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:19 am

Got another bad film, this time from the 1930s, "The Midnight Warning" (1932), it uses the classic 'someone goes missing but everyone denies their existence' plot-line, outlines an outrageous conspiracy, but then messes up the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kMXsvPfNKw

I have also found a podcast that covers works that have fallen into the Public Domain for one reason or another and gives them a review. They cover radio serials, films and early TV shows.) there are one or two genre efforts amongst the material covered.

http://www.orphanedentertainment.com/
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: MUP 123 – Bad Movies, Good Games

Post by Graham » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:57 am

Just added to the Yog-Sothoth.com Wiki is a list of 'Jungle Gothic' films that could be used for plot hooks, NPCs or locations.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.p ... ms_(genre)
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Post Reply