MUP 119 - Dholing Out Greatness

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 119 - Dholing Out Greatness

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 am

In episode 119, Murf, Jon and Dan take a different look at the Bestiary concept. Jon and Murf each chose a Mythos creature that they just don't care for, and we riff on them to see if we can make the creature seem more useful in game play. I think we were successful on both counts. This episode was recorded on March 20th, 2017

We want to hear from you!
By email: mup.feedback@gmail.com
By phone: (401) 400-0MUP (0687)
By Twitter: @MU_Podcast
By Speakpipe: (Click the floating tab on the far right of this page)
On our forum: mu-podcast.com/campus.
Like what you hear? Please become a Patron! >> mu-podcast.com/patron <<

Campus Crier
Invictus Final Results

Call of Cthulhu Metal Dice Set by Q-workshop & Chaosium
Ends Sat, April 15 2017

Satanic Panic - a horror RPG about how evil RPGs are…

The Lovecraft Arts & Sciences Council is planning an event at the Providence Athenaeum, one of the author's favorite places in the city.

Here is the campaign page to donate to the HPL Statue Project

Here is the page where you can get raffle tickets from the HPLHS, benefiting the statue.

H.P. Lovecraft's "Cool Air" DVD/Blu-ray release

Bryan Moore's stellar film adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's classic tale "Cool Air" is finally coming to DVD/Blu-ray in "Duo-Chrome"!!!

Elder Dice - Cthulhu Mythos themed dice for tabletop gamers

Lovecraftian designs consist of: The Great Cthulhu, Star Elder Sign and Lovecraft Elder Sign. Also includes magnetized spell book boxes

Golden Goblin Press is running a short 1-week Kickstarter at the end of this month

from midnight on Friday, March 25th Midnight, Friday

Cold Warning is a 7th Edition Jazz Era Call of Cthulhu Scenario set in Arkham Massachusetts and Hudson Maine. What begins with the a dubious suicide of Joseph Sutton and the strange behavior of his widow Marilyn leads investigators to Winter Haven, a remote hunting lodge in rural Maine. Here they experience mysterious goings on, encounter suspicious lodge guests and staff, learn of ancient legends, and confront strange and frightening creatures before finally witnessing the awesome power of a Great Old One. The Author Scott David Aniolowski - .

We had a nice chat with Scott about this Kickstarter, and various other things Cthulhu in a special report that was released on Monday evening.
http://www.mu-podcast.com/special-report-one-week-kickstarter-cold-warning/

Protodimension Magazine / Dark Conspiracy III are closing doors…

This was sent direct to MUP via Chad/KeeperAnt: "Kinstaff Media, publishers of Dark Conspiracy III and the free horror gaming magazine Protodimension, have ceased operation. Plans are already under way for a replacement magazine covering the same genres and systems as Protodimension and made by creators who worked on that publication, but it appears that no more Dark Conspiracy III material will be forthcoming from Kinstaff. When the new magazine is ready to go live we will let people know. Thanks MUP!" - Lee Williams, former PDM editor

Lil splainer:

Protodimension WAS a free PDF publication focusing on modern and near-future horror and conspiracy genre roleplaying. Call of Cthulhu, Dark Conspiracy, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Little Fears, other more obscure horror games.

Website is already down!

The Crow Report Eric Grundhauser is writing the news from Washington as Lovecraftian horror in his new website, The Crow Report. Eric is the head writer and editor at Atlas Obscura, and occasionally writes for Slate.

Jon pointed us to his friend Bryan Fyffe - fine artist Be sure to check out these Mythosy pieces- Yog-Sothoth and Arkham House

Card Catalog-

Lovecraft Country Resources from Bret:

The New England Folklore Blog Lots of ideas, leads. Updated weekly

The places that inspired HPL.

Listener Feedback!-
iTunes 5-Star- Nicoreon from USA on March 4, 2017
A maddeningly good podcast
After tiding thru the dark ocean mankind was not meant to know, that is the MU back catalog. I can safely say if you can make your san rolls its well worth the lessen.
iTunes 5-Star- Elfremi from Canada on February 27, 2017
Some things you just can't unlearn
I'm not a Call Of Cthulhu keeper/player, but I love this podcast. Hearing the guys talk about Cthulhu horror gaming gets my creative juices flowing. Maybe some day I'll take the plunge, play some CoC and watch my sanity slip away, but even if I don't, I'll always listen to one of the best podcasts out there.
Thank you for the great reviews!

Topic - Least Favored Monster

Jon chose Dholes

Murph has it in for The Great Race of Yith

Things mentioned during the conversations-

Weird Detective: The Stars Are Wrong TPB

The book that turned Murf around!
Here's an Amazon Associate link if you want to toss us a few of Amazon's pennies.

The Creeping Terror-

Here is the full public domain movie on YouTube

Here's a very accurate review of said movie-
- The "Creeping Terror" is actually a monster from outer space that looks like a large, old carpet with weeds growing on it, and a head made of old shaver cables. It makes sounds like a 90 year old Asthmatic...
Here is a really accurate Creeping Terror Diorama Model that Dan would gleefully build if he could afford it.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Morthrai
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MUP 119 - Dholing Out Greatness

Post by Morthrai » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am

Hi folks,

many thanks for putting out the word about the demise of Protodimension. Myself and a couple of mates are now working on a new free publication that will cover similar ground, called simply The Dark Times Fanzine. We are always open for fan-created material for Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green and other horror games besides. Interested parties can look us up on the various social media platforms or email here:

darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom

Cheers!
Lee Williams.
The Dark Times Fanzine
"There is more to darkness than the sun going down."

R.J. MacReady
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by R.J. MacReady » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up on "Weird Detective" from Dark Horse Comics. I bought it and thought it was great. Not an easy feat to do some twists on the mythos and also incorporate solid horror, humor, and a noir detective feel.
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”

― Werner Herzog

WitchDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by WitchDoctor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 am

For the MU guys I have a minor (very minor) gift to bestow, if you are willing to give up your address. A local brewery created Cthulhu pins I thought you might enjoy. Let me know your address and I will mail them. My email is witchdoctorad@gmail.com. This is for the podcasters only! Sorry I don't have more to hand out.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:22 am

Good episode.

Thanks for the comic book reference. I'll check it out.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/