MUP 112 - Chris Spivey, International Man of Many NDAs

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 112 - Chris Spivey, International Man of Many NDAs

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:28 am

Chad, Murf and Dan have a chat with Chris Spivey, experienced Call of Cthulhu Keeper, a writer on Gumshoe One-2-One, and his numerous other projects. We also have a Bestiary about the Dimensional Shambler. This episode was recorded on November 1, 2016.

Campus Crier
An update on the MUP 2016 “One Minute of Horror” contest:
The mu-podcast.com email address was not bringing in contest submissions, so we reached out to anyone who has submitted to re-send them to Dan's gmail account. If you did not hear back from us, let us know!

The final PDF for The Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion has been released to backers. (This fan-driven project has been in the works for nearly a decade.)

Chad got his copy of Mythos Tales in the mail. And it’s amazing. (KS Mentioned way back in Episode 96, kind of an RPG in a box.)

On the less connected, but still geeky-cool, is Manos, the cards of Fate, a card game based on the terrible movie Manos: The Hands of Fate. (Now on Blu-Ray!)

There is a Kickstarter for Leagues of Cthulhu, a Victorian Mythos RPG sourcebook powered by Ubiquity (Hollow Earth Expedition)

Chaosium News-

Chaosium has announced a new licensing arrangement with Golden Goblin Press for Cthulhu Invictus. This is a multi-year deal that will see Golden Goblin Press producing a number of Cthulhu Invictus releases annually, including a Cthulhu Invictus 7th Edition guide, a series of setting books for regions of the Roman Empire, at least two more collections of scenarios (De Horrore Ulteriorie and De Horrore Ultimo), and a new Cthulhu Invictus campaign.

The Dhole's House: a free 'online toolkit' for Keepers and players of Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition, developed by long-time fan Lee Carnell. Members can create investigators that are fully compatible with Call of Cthulhu 7th edition and print off a PDF character sheet, all in a matter of minutes. All Investigators are saved and can be updated via the 'Character Control Panel' as the campaign unfolds. Site members can also contribute to a Character Library, allowing anyone to download PDF character sheets for Call of Cthulhu investigators for use as PCs or NPC's. The Library is searchable by occupation and gender.

Card Catalog
Gleaned from the Graham Special Collections Wing:

The blog 'Whispers from the Ghooric Zone' whose creator has decided to count down "Lovecraftian Thing A Day" for all of 2016. There is a wealth of material on display.

And don't forget about the Sentinel Hill Press Octoberganza, with an entry related to last show’s investigator groups topic- The Watch and Ward Society.

Listener Feedback
(Hilarious transcription courtesy of Google Voice!)
From Canageek-
Hello, Kennedy care. I was listening to emphasize 1:11 on my way to work and something stretch me about your discussion of carnivals back in my dungeons & Dragons live in Gray Hawk organized play campaign in Ontario, Ontario the cat region. We'd often have what we know as interactive sort of tabletop our begin, but with a little bit of like mixed in so we'd have for the first half of it every all the players were gathering a big room and all the dm to take on the roles of Mp. C's and they're be very stations. You could go around 2 and participant the activities there and carnivals was a comma 1 if you could go to the archery contest 9th Roller the strong man interact with each MPC and game favors or Advantages or insight into what was to come and then in the second part every with divine off in the tables by mission, so the carnival was at. Dora portal opened or something because the there was no call just at the carnival one group might try and go into the portal one group would deal with the monsters coming out and the third one would go evacuate the refugees and living gray hawk. This would be sorted by level, but include could Sorted by remaining sanity, or just randomly or whatever so I gave you serve a collective experience, and you could hear reports so cajun someone would come over to a table and say you know we really need reinforcements over here is can you spare anybody or you know you'd here yeah, there's a giant explosion over there, and you can see a smoking crater, and you know Dave was real good for when you went out to the bar afterwards cuz you don't participate in the same adventure, but all seem different things and by talking to each other you guys greater sense of you know. What was going on. Why did we see 100 magic missile strike a flying guy over that way, and I thought you know. It'd be cool if you did. Something similar for that for Costco hulu where you know one really connected MPC calls and everybody he knows answer your convention is a big invested it invested of things 30 people it after be on more of the pool side, but I thought it might be an interesting experience anyway, that's all so if there's pompano is ranking I'm calling from my laboratory so yeah with regards to sports have all of you pots and consider taking buddy since court like curling for example.
From Ritterton-
Good evening to the Miska Tonic University Pod casters. This is Riverton from the forms, and you were talking about radium and the items that we're radiate in 1920 you might find it. Fascinating and I'm a cop way to hear the story of the radium girls who were the painters of radium products it. There's a great podcast buy stuff stuff. You missed in history and about them and most of them ended up dying of pretty terrible cancers because they would use radium paint the paint watches and dials, and I'm glass working all and they tended to lick their brushes to keep their brushes pointed invoiced as they were using the product and it was a series of losses in litigation for the women who had survived that effort, so it give you a sense of the type of thing the long term effects you were talking about again ritter jen from the forms and go pods.

Topics
We talk with Chris about his contribution to Pelgrane Press’s Cthulhu Confidential project. How Gumshow One-2-One works, and why he chose the setting and player character he did for his part of the game; an African-American WWII Veteran in Washington D.C.

He's also working on a modern sourcebook for Chaosium, which he can't talk about (NDA).

And he's working on tank combat rules for Godlike, which he can't talk about (NDA).

And a number of other cool things he can't go into details about. He's collecting Non-Disclosure Agreements like they're Pokemon.

There's also some talk about Dimensional Shamblers:

A nice piece of art depicting a DimSham.

Other things discussed in this segment are-

Last Rites, a modern day book of four Call of Cthulhu scenarios.

The origin stories that feature the creature, The Horror in the Museum and The Hunters from Beyond.

Here is the Yog-Sothoth Wiki article about them.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

spiggy
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MUP 112 - Chris Spivey, International Man of Many NDAs

Post by spiggy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:48 pm

I sent in a submission for One Minute of Horror but I haven't heard from you guys. I sent it on October 25th from codexapocrypha AT gmail DOT com. Thanks!

aka_fatman
Freshman
Freshman

Post by aka_fatman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:06 am

1/ The Watch and Ward. Interesting idea to have these guys as a player friendly group and/or an antagonist group. There's a book by Neil Miller called "Banned in Boston: The Watch and Ward Society's Crusade against Books, Burlesque, and the Social Evil". It tracks the rise of the Watch and Ward society and their attempts to curb vices around the nation. I could easily see them causing trouble for Henry Armitage and the Orne Library just as easily as they'd crusade against distributions of "The King in Yellow". Maybe their nature changes? Could a few folks from the Watch and Ward unwisely read some forbidden texts and it start affecting their behaviour slowly, subtly?
Peripheral Thought: a "Secrets of Boston" would make a great supplement, if Chaosium ever wanted to do more of those.

2/ Chris Spivey. Wow. You ain't kidding about the NDA's. Somewhere in there was a great interview but it's hard to know what the heck he was actually working on. The Gumshoe One-2-One seems fun. I'd be tempted to run a session with one person and then have a follow-up group session dealing with the repercussions from the solo play. Love to focus on the underrepresented African-Americans after the war. The real horrors of a resentful white populace makes the Mythos threat a welcome change. I first thought that the Langston Wright character more similar to Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins because they are both ex-servicemen turned P.I. but Langston is also a scientist? That's cool.

3/ Elder Godlike Tank Rules. Ever since watching "Fury" I thought a tank crew would make a good investigator group. A snug team of 5 (commander, gunner, loader, driver, co-driver) stuck in a Sherman would be real interesting as they'd be sorta protected from outside attacks but would still be subjected to SAN loss the first time they encounter a dark young. What happens if the gunner freaks out? Or worse yet; the driver?

4/ Dimensional Shamblers. I think I heard the comparison to the Demogorgon before on the Good Friends podcast. It'd be a nice way to explain a series of Locked Room mysteries. Agatha Christie meets Cthulhu.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 pm

spiggy wrote:I sent in a submission for One Minute of Horror but I haven't heard from you guys. I sent it on October 25th from codexapocrypha AT gmail DOT com. Thanks!
Investigation launched.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Nope, I don't see that I got it. Please re-send to mukeeperdan at gmail.com
spiggy wrote:I sent in a submission for One Minute of Horror but I haven't heard from you guys. I sent it on October 25th from codexapocrypha AT gmail DOT com. Thanks!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

spiggy
Freshman
Freshman

Post by spiggy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:17 am

just sent to keeper dan. Thanks!

BrianL
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BrianL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Really enjoyed this episode, guys, even if Chris had to be super-secret and vague about some of the exciting stuff he has coming up!

Birmy
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Birmy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 pm

-Googling Chris Spivey yielded some, uh, interesting results. Looks like the guy is in something of an SEO pickle.

-That Last Rites link appears to just take you to a "We're sorry..." page at DriveThru RPG.

-Meta question: Why do you censor swearing on the podcast? Is it a TOS deal? Personal preferences? The Jackson Elias guys don't seem to have an issue.

-I have a funny feeling that Oscar Rios would be easy to get on the show if you wanted to grill him about the new Chaosium deal and upcoming Invictus releases...

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:00 am

Birmy wrote:-Googling Chris Spivey yielded some, uh, interesting results. Looks like the guy is in something of an SEO pickle.
Or he is fostering sense of mystery. Maybe his optimization is to remain in a state of Spivey chrysalis until he emerges like a deployment of tent caterpillars when all the things are published at once in 2017...

But do check out his website.
-That Last Rites link appears to just take you to a "We're sorry..." page at DriveThru RPG.
Dang, I'll try to fix that when I'm back at a desktop. Thanks! I swear there is good dim sham stuff in there.
-Meta question: Why do you censor swearing on the podcast? Is it a TOS deal? Personal preferences? The Jackson Elias guys don't seem to have an issue.
Personal preference. We have discussed it on and off the air and remain on the side of bleeping. Each podcast makes its own call on language level. No TOS deal here.
-I have a funny feeling that Oscar Rios would be easy to get on the show if you wanted to grill him about the new Chaosium deal and upcoming Invictus releases...
I have that funny feeling, too. Was in a car with Oscar for ten hours two weekends ago, and we meant to do a road interview but were overcome by an irrational quantity of snacks and 80s keraoke.

He is itching to talk about it. Stay tuned.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:33 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:Was in a car with Oscar for ten hours two weekends ago, and we meant to do a road interview but were overcome by an irrational quantity of snacks and 80s keraoke.
Cultist Car Karaoke, feature on the upcoming joint YouTube channel of MUP and GGP? ;)
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL