MUP 110 - A Ghastly Good Time

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 110 - A Ghastly Good Time

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:18 am

In episode 110, Murf, Jon and Dan get together to head back into the Bestiary to take another look at the dark-dwelling Ghast. This episode was recorded on October 3, 2016.
We want to hear from you!

By email: feedback@mu-podcast.com
By phone: (401) 400-0MUP (0687)
By Twitter: @MU_Podcast
By Speakpipe: (Click the floating tab on the far right of this page)
On our forum: mu-podcast.com/campus.
Like what you hear? Please become a Patron! >> mu-podcast.com/patron <<

Campus Crier
MUP is launching an audio contest for the 2016 Halloween season! Submit by midnight US Eastern Time on October 31, 2016 for our "One Minute of Horror" contest. Whatever you can do with one minute of audio is fair game – reading a very short story, a poem, fake newscasts, history, maybe a spectacular minute of an actual play? Or submissions can be totally wordless: audio landscapes, sound effects, playing an instrument, any combo of the above - whatever your dark imagination cooks up! There will be First, Second and Third place prizes. All material must be copyright free, and any Creative Commons material must be credited appropriately. Keep language clean enough to play on the show without bleeping. Submitting your piece also gives us permission to play it on the show whether you win or not. Send your one-minute audio files as attachments to: feedback@mu-podcast.com. Please put "One Minute Horror" in the subject line so we can tell which messages are contest entries. If you want to go with quick and raw, you could also submit using the Speakpipe link on the right of our home page. Winning Criteria: Creative, Original, Creepy. Check the MU forum for a thread on this topic - we're happy to help!

Hudson & Brand, Inquiry Agents of the Obscure.
Hudson & Brand is a Call of Cthulhu book for the Gaslight era and details a ready-made anti-Cthulhu Mythos Victorian organisation.

Gecco Corp Announce CTHULHU statuePrice: US$259.00

The Sun Spots Kickstarter completed!
Congratulations to Dave for hitting all of the stretch goals!
Fantasy Flight begins selling the Mythos minis-
From Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, and Mansions of Madness in individual blister packs.

Sentinel Hill Press' blog is having their annual 'October-ganza' post-a-day series this October.
And previous October-ganza entries.
It runs through Halloween.
Extra Life 24-hr game-a-thons-

There are a couple of charity events happening in the very near future. Both are 24-hr game-a-thons in support of the Extra Life charity that raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Event #1: 24-hours of gaming at Carnage Con Nov 5.
We have a series of events at this con in Stowe, VT. Big events include a DCC horror tournament using Carnival of the Damned, an overnight running of the unpublished Mike Mason & Sandy Petersen scenario Hotel Hell, a Carnival-themed LARP and an event for kids using No Thank You Evil. In addition, such industry luminaries as Oscar Rios and Dr. Nik will be running special games in support of Extra Life

Event #2: Frog God Games presents 24-hrs of Rappan Athuk and other RPGs Nov 18.

A hardy group of six or seven players will sit down at a table at 6 PM and get up 24 hours later having been led by me through the FGG dungeon delve Rappan Athuk using 5e D&D. We expect to take a palette cleanser part way through for some Call of Cthluhu run by Sean and FGG’s author Matt Finch will guest GM an hour or so of a soon-to-be revealed special project from the Frogs. The entire event will be broadcast live on TwitchTV and audience members are invited to donate money to mess with the game.

Card Catalog:

Here is a great resource for Jazz-era ship plans for gaming, courtesy of Graham.

Main Topic:

Bestiary- Ghasts

We also discuss K'n-yan, the underground location mentioned in The Mound, which has ghasts living in it. Along with weird telepathic aliens that use the gasts as mounts?

A couple of sites with great ghast art-

The Lovecraft Mythos Bestiary by K.L. Turner

Drawing is Neat- Ghastly Ghouly : H.P. Lovecraft's Ghouls and Ghasts
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MUP 110 - A Ghastly Good Time

Post by Graham » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:34 am

As first reply, I'll begin by saying I've not got around to the Ghasts yet, but I'm glad you guys found that item I sent you for the cardfile interesting. I just wish I'd found it during the period the Masks companion had been written, because as was said this is a perfect resource for that campaign, or indeed any globe-hopping campaign a Keeper can come up with.

There was something else in that list I am surprised did not come up though. One of the tugboat plans was for ships built by the Crowninshield Shipbuilding Co of Falls River, MA. I'm sure an enterprising Keeper could make something of that. Something else the Hosts did not mention, if you right click on the plans and select 'View Image' you get a much larger version of the deck plans usually in the region of 5000 x 3000.

One thing I am keeping an eye out for, but have not found yet, is a set of deckplans for some of the other German liners confiscated by the United States upon their entering the war. Especially a quartet of ships (USS Mount Vernon (ex-Kronprinzessin Cecilie), USS Agamemnon (ex-Kaiser Wilhelm II), USS America (ex-Amerika), USS George Washington (ex-George Washington)) that wound up mothballed in Chesapeake Bay during the interwar period.

If anyone knows where to find them, send it to the Keepers, I'm sure they'll (and a lot of others) will be very happy to see them.

Some pictures of the ships in question can be seen at the site linked below:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancest ... y1940.html
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

DadsAngry
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DadsAngry » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Tauntaun in Empire Strikes Back are bi-pedial.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:52 am

DadsAngry wrote:Tauntaun in Empire Strikes Back are bi-pedial.

Excellent! I totally forgot about that. Nice sourcing!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:

Also this.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:27 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Keeper Jon wrote:

Also this.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Good finds the both of you... Ah, Wizards, a film which bought the world the works of may favourite illustrators, Ian Miller...

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:27 pm

Hello,

Sorry for the delay as some books locked me in the shelves in the library. Not going to fall for the notes from my girlfriend leading me into a corner of the Miskatonic Library to be trapped inside a bookcase for weeks, at least not this month.

For the Arkham prepainted miniatures. Cool Stuff Inc has a ton of them listed with the prices as well as the details. Many look like the images from Eldritch Horror or replacements for the new Mansions of Madness. Cool Stuff also has a customer loyalty program (like the secret group of janitors at the Arkham main hospital), where if you buy more from Cool Stuff, they will give discounts on future offers & carry some CoC things as well.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search ... ham+horror
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)