MUP 109 - Staring at the Sunspots

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 109 - Staring at the Sunspots

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:22 am

In this episode, we’ve skyjacked Dave Sokolowski as co-host to talk about his new Kickstarter-in progress for the Lovecraft Country scenario “Sunspots.” We also riff on juicy listener feedback ideas from Brian in Mass and Canageek. This episode was recorded on September 19, 2016.
We want to hear from you!

By email: feedback@mu-podcast.com
By phone: (401) 400-0MUP (0687)
By Twitter: @MU_Podcast
By Speakpipe: (Click the floating tab on the far right of this page)
On our forum: mu-podcast.com/campus.
Like what you hear? Please become a Patron! >> mu-podcast.com/patron <<

Campus Crier
MUP is launching an audio contest for the 2016 Halloween season! Submit by midnight US Eastern Time on October 31, 2016 for our "One Minute of Horror" contest. Whatever you can do with one minute of audio is fair game – reading a very short story, a poem, fake newscasts, history, maybe a spectacular minute of an actual play? Or submissions can be totally wordless: audio landscapes, sound effects, playing an instrument, any combo of the above - whatever your dark imagination cooks up! There will be First, Second and Third place prizes. All material must be copyright free, and any Creative Commons material must be credited appropriately. Keep language clean enough to play on the show without bleeping. Submitting your piece also gives us permission to play it on the show whether you win or not. Send your one-minute audio files as attachments to: feedback@mu-podcast.com. Please put "One Minute Horror" in the subject line so we can tell which messages are contest entries. If you want to go with quick and raw, you could also submit using the Speakpipe link on the right of our home page. Winning Criteria: Creative, Original, Creepy. Check the MU forum for a thread on this topic - we're happy to help!

Lovecraft Tales episode 1 - a point-and-click horror in development.

Re-Animator: Evolution Is Legit… Sort Of

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition has won at the inaugural Dragon Awards in Atlanta for "Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Miniatures/Collectible Card/Role Playing Game."

Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies NYC is now in session

'CONGO' Historic Fantasy Miniatures Game

Golden Goblin Spotlight
The forges are burning hot at the Goblin Lair right now, with two projects in pre-production and two projects going to the printer. All of the artwork for Heroes of Red Hook - 18 illustrations from Ian MacLean - is now in hand, and that book is going to the printer this week. Also, hopes are high that Tales of the Caribbean will go to the the printer next week. The cover for a mysterious undisclosable upcoming KS project is in the works already. That project will Kickstart from mid February to mid March. It's a book of scenarios with a fiction companion as one of the various stretch goals. The next fiction book, Between Twilight and Dawn, is underway. About 40% of the book filled. That KS should run in May.

Topic:

Sun Spots! Check here for Kickstarter updates.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: MUP 109 - Staring at the Sunspots

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey all, I'm deeply sorry about my audio for this episode. We had no idea at the time that it was that bad. From what I understand, Dave and the other hosts were hearing something completely different than the sound we ended up with.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:25 pm

I have some thoughts that I wanted to share about Canageek’s Prepper scenario idea.

I have a little experience living around “preppers” before this term ballooned via Internet into such widespread use. From what I saw, they often nurture a deep belief in some kind of End Times, whether of a biblical nature or just a strong belief that civilization is going to collapse all at once. Because they put so much work and resources into the preparation, watching for signs of this event becomes a kind of obsession. It strikes me as a kind of fantasy, in which there is a glorious imagined moment in the future when Preppers get to tell the world “I told you so.”

So as far as the question of how to answer “why now?” I would submit one possibility is that a Prepper figures out how to make it happen – or at least think they are going to make it happen. In this case, a Prepper or community of them could come across some kind of Mythos means to hasten the coming of the End Times. This could be in the form of a serious Mythos threat, like the ability to Call Cthulhu. Or they could have come across a lower-level spell or two that would wreck havoc locally but not drag the whole world down with them - like a Summon Moon Beast spell, or something of the like.
Plays for Keepers

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:I have some thoughts that I wanted to share about Canageek’s Prepper scenario idea.

I have a little experience living around “preppers” before this term ballooned via Internet into such widespread use. From what I saw, they often nurture a deep belief in some kind of End Times, whether of a biblical nature or just a strong belief that civilization is going to collapse all at once. Because they put so much work and resources into the preparation, watching for signs of this event becomes a kind of obsession. It strikes me as a kind of fantasy, in which there is a glorious imagined moment in the future when Preppers get to tell the world “I told you so.”

So as far as the question of how to answer “why now?” I would submit one possibility is that a Prepper figures out how to make it happen – or at least think they are going to make it happen. In this case, a Prepper or community of them could come across some kind of Mythos means to hasten the coming of the End Times. This could be in the form of a serious Mythos threat, like the ability to Call Cthulhu. Or they could have come across a lower-level spell or two that would wreck havoc locally but not drag the whole world down with them - like a Summon Moon Beast spell, or something of the like.
I can't wait to listen to the episode after work. I'll see if I can set up some speakers in the lab so I can listen while cleaning today. As a note, I've made a thread of this in the Historical Honors Society, and kept it updated with the latest feedback and suggestions I've gotten.
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:09 pm

Hah. Now that I read the contest information, I am smiling. I had been kicking around an idea to send in a segment to the show anyways. Now I see I have a bit stronger motivation to do so.

Now if only I wasn't so bogged down with trying to sell my place and other tasks (which is hy the idea has remained an idea until this point).
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:13 am

Yes! Submit! Submit!

As far as I know, no one has answered the call for audio entries yet. Of course, it hasn't even really been announced on the show because of the bad audio.

There will be prizes! I promise!
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:I have some thoughts that I wanted to share about Canageek’s Prepper scenario idea.

What do you mean by the term 'Preppers' as far as I am concerned they are no different from Survivalists back in the 1980s, but then they didn't sign on to cable networks back then.

Looking forward to a resumption of the cardfile...
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:41 am

Well, it is a self-identifier, so maybe no important difference. But lots of survivalists are / were more focused on the skills needed to live with little or no gear. Man against nature with a knife. Preppers, on the other hand, may have two years of canned food stored in a concrete cache. And survivalists do not care much about hoarding gold. There is plenty of overlap in those populations, but they are not precisely the same drives.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Plays for Keepers

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:59 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:Yes! Submit! Submit!

As far as I know, no one has answered the call for audio entries yet. Of course, it hasn't even really been announced on the show because of the bad audio.

There will be prizes! I promise!
Working on it. I just need to figure out which topic I have would be a good reason to dispatch someone from Arkham to the wilds of British Columbia. I do think Brother XII, while fairly innocuous, might be chosen, since he was fairly popular in occult circles for a short time.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:08 am

Ohhhhhh!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Plays for Keepers