MUP 108 - Naming All the Batmans

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 108 - Naming All the Batmans

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:32 pm

In this episode, all four hosts are in that house to review derived characteristics, alternative ways to determine characteristics, and a few of the "Lovecraftian" occupations to choose from. If you like tangents, random riffing and a complete lack of focus - this is the episode for you! This episode was recorded on August 29, 2016.

Campus Crier

Murph and Chad had a Cephaloparty in Boston!

Murph and Chad tuck in to a plate of octopus in Boston.

Check out the three new books from Dark Regions Press, as discussed by Brian Sammons in MUP Episode 107.

Sun Spots - the new project by Dave Sokolowski, is slated to launch on September 13.

HPLHS’s Dark Adventure Radio Theater is turning a Call of Cthulhu campaign The Fungi from Yuggoth into a 30-s style radio drama! It’s set for release this Halloween.

Another Lovecraftiana Kickstarter: a Lovecraft-themed gaming cafe in Providence (but it seems like it didn't really get off the ground).

Innovativ Media (INMG) launches premium online channel, HPLovecraft.TV. The channel's page is here.

Age of Cthulhu 9 printed books should be shipping soon. Jon and Dan got their copies.

Print versions of Call of Cthulhu 7th edition are now available from the Chaosium shop! These books all come with the PDF free.

Chaosium's Cthulhu Coloring Book will available for Christmas preorder later this year.

Card Catalog

HP Lovecraft's Advice on Writing

Golden Goblin Spotlight

The official bookmarks for the Heroes of Red Hook Kickstarter supporters have arrived at the Goblin Lair!
"We have a new updated cover, with all our our authors listed, for Heroes of Red Hook," posted Oscar Rios.

Topics

First, we review derived stats: Damage Bonus, Build, Hit Points, Movement Rate and Aging.

We also talk about alternative ways to determine characteristics, including: starting over from scratch, modifying low rolls, rolling values and then placing them where you want them, point buying, and Sandy Petersen's "quick fire" method.

We also talk about all the different kinds of Batman.

Finally, we delve into some of the traditional occupations from Lovecraft's fiction, including Antiquarian, Author, Dilettante, Doctor Of Medicine, Journalist, Librarian, Police Detective and Professor. By the way, the only additions and subtractions in the whole occupation list from 6th Edition to 7th Edition are Librarian (new to 7th Edition) and Spokesperson (dropped in 7th Edition).

There is also the story of Chad's first reaction to seeing a room with people sleeping with CPAP machines.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Canageek
Senior
Senior
Re: MUP 108 - Naming All the Batmans

Post by Canageek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Your discussion of stat systems reminds me of one character I saw rolled up. New players I was introducing to the game. Told her how to roll stats. The average on 3d6 should be 10.5. I think she rolled 1 stat over 11, and it was only a 12 or 13. Her lowest stat was a three, the only one I've ever seen rolled during character creation. We decided to let her reroll as it wasn't just her first time playing Call of Cthulhu, but her first time playing an RPG at all.

I usually used the method from the 6e rulebook that was roll, then you can move up to 3 points from one stat to another, three times. So you can fill in a weakness, or boost a strength, but don't get total control.

The other method I've seen once was roll your stats, then you can add points to bring the total number up to average if you are below it. So that you get some customization if you are lower then average, and don't wind up significantly worse off than everyone else, but can't necessarily get total control.
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Loved the discussion on stat rolling.

When I run games - mostly one shots at cons - I use the method from the quick start rules (forget which # that is) as a base, and then modify them as I see fit. I figure for one shots, the PCs should have some area where they shine in and fudging the stats a bit won't make much of a difference.

For longer term games, or my characters, it sounds like I do what most do - roll the 3d6 and assign them to characteristics that I want.

Also, you forgot Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Batman. :)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:27 am

"I want you to do me a favor. I want you to tell your friends about me . . . I'm BATMAN!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/