Useful Youtube Channels for Cthulhu

Discussion about podcast episodes
Canageek
Senior
Senior
Useful Youtube Channels for Cthulhu

Post by Canageek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:31 pm

A few Youtube links I think might be useful for Cthulhu keepers:

C&Rsenal This channel acquires WWI military firearms of various types, explains their history, how they work, then fires them and describes how well they work. A lot of these weapons are going to be floating around after WWI, and in fact the channel goes into where each one wound up at various times. For example, Russia wound up with insane numbers of some pre-war Japanese rifles. Useful if you want to add a bit more flavour to your weapons, or want to specify how the cthulhu cult got all those surplus rifles. Plus there are a lot of interesting characters involved in early firearms development, the best candidates for NPCs are probably found in The Ross Rifle episode:

Forgotten Weapons I've got to say, US gun laws are terrifying. However, for RPGs they can be quite useful. This person has a contract with several US auction houses, where he goes and talks about weird historical firearms. I've had an idea to set an adventure where the players find firearms, but then realize they are trick firearms, never meant for combat, for example the Gravity Pistol:

A game where they players are resistance members with one-shot Liberator Pistols could also be cool: Yes, you have firearms, but you'd better think very, very carefully before firing them.

Also, again he goes into a lot of the interesting characters involved in the creation of these weapons, and the reasons for their creation, many of whom would be good for adventures, particularly as most of the firearms he talks about come from the 1880s-1920s, prime Cthulhu adventuring time.
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.

Canageek
Senior
Senior
Re: Useful Youtube Channels for Cthulhu

Post by Canageek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:46 pm

More useful as a prop source, the The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) has a ton of video of sea creatures, many of whom could easily be taken for something out of Lovecraft.

The Great War is a channel devoted to WWI. I haven't really gotten into it yet, but given the recent amount of WWI Cthulhu material coming out, it could well be useful.

This Exists is a really strange YouTube channel out of Toronto that covers a TON of things that could be used in a game. I'm not sure I can describe the channel well, but some videos I could write an adventure hook around:

Finally: You know that player that claims their AK-47/M1/1911/etc would never jam, even on a natural 00? This channel is for them. [URL=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeUNM9 ... RNeuW4_2sg]InRangeTV[\URL] covers a lot of firearms things (it is done by the same people as Forgotten Weapons), and has useful stuff like the ability to tell Dave that yes, your AK47 WILL stop working if you cover it in mud

Also it has a very interesting video on hand weapons of WWI, for when the players inevitably annoy that former solider that seems to look right through them.
Last edited by Canageek on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Glad you like them. I've noticed there haven't been as many resources for keepers mentioned on the podcast as of late, which has always been one of my favorite parts of any podcasts, going right back to the Dragon Landing Inn's Frugal Gamer segment I was listening to in 2002. I've also discovered that I like hearing things I submitted read on air, so I thought I'd pass along some things I've come across while waiting for the computer to crunch some numbers on my X-Ray data.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Nice selection of channels. I like to suggest though that the moderators move this thread to another section as I think this better belongs in the National History Honors Society part of the form.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Yeah, sorry about that. I posted this before I noticed that section. Same with my useful Google+ group threads. I saw that the next two down were other podcasts and assumed it was one forum per podcast.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:26 am

No worries. Don't hold back on posting. We can move stuff around I think.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:43 pm

I found another one. The EAS Experiance. It generates Emergency Alert System broadcasts for both real and "extreme" events that can be useful for both props and inspiration.

For example: