MUP 107 - The Recap that Came From GenCon

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 107 - The Recap that Came From GenCon

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:41 am

In episode 107, Jon, Chad and Dan are joined by Brian Sammons to talk about some upcoming book projects he's involved in, as well as Dan's GenCon 2016 recap. This episode was recorded on August 15th, 2016.
We want to hear from you!
By email: feedback@mu-podcast.com
By phone: (401) 400-0MUP (0687)
By Twitter: @MU_Podcast
By Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/2/communities/116018663909122117898
By Speakpipe: (Click the floating tab on the far right of this page)
On our forum: mu-podcast.com/campus.
Like what you hear? Become a Patron! (please): mu-podcast.com/patron

Campus Crier
Card Catalog
From Graham (forum post dated Jul 29, 2016):
A trio of websites covering the many Merchant Ships (Freight/Passenger) built under the United States War Emergency Shipbuilding Program in WWI.
Canageek shares a tip regarding a great resource, The great detectives of old time radio.

Jaymz Clemens left us a really fun liner that mentions the Mysterious Universe Podcast.

Golden Goblin Spotlight
Heroes of Red Hook-
Formal layout for this project is complete!
Ian MacLean is working on our interior art, and while progress is good, it will take time to draw eighteen quality interior illustrations. As the illustrations are completed they'll be dropped into the first page of each story, depicting a scene from early in that story's narrative (so there won't be any spoilers)
Another item that might be of interest, we decided quite last minute to add a little extra content to the book. At the end of each story is now listed a From The Author note, where each author talks a little bit about the story they've written (their inspiration, the history behind it, their process, etc...). I'd like to thank the authors for agreeing to share their thoughts with us, and for getting these back to us as quickly as they did. We hope you'll enjoy this addition to the manuscript.

Tales of the Caribbean
First off, interior art is now 100% complete and in house.
LAYOUT HAS BEGUN!
Lisa Padol is making great progress on setting these scenarios up for layout and emailing them to Mark Shireman. Mark has just completed laying out a fiction project for us as well, so momentum is high. Currently two of the seven scenarios are in layout, with a third being sent to him later today.
What makes this truly amazing is that this is the VERY FIRST TIME this project is ahead of schedule.

Jon points out the availability of Legends of New Orleans- PDF extra for Tales of the Crescent City

Topics
Brian’s book project-
Dark Regions Press soon to participate in group IndieGoGo “Grab-Bag” campaign, including the two that Brian edited-
Return of the Old Ones: Apocalyptic Lovecraftian Horror
The Children of Gla’aki: A Tribute to Ramsey Campbell’s Great Old One
The campaign will also include You, Human: An Anthology of Dark Science Fiction Edited by Michael Bailey

The IndieGoGo campaign will launch on August 23rd.

Dan’s GenCon recap
Chaosium:
All CoC books in hardcover, full color
All books will come with PDF codes
Tales of Sandy Peterson

For the curious, the young woman on the right of the show notes image is Grace, Dan's friend that was mentioned in the show.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

GreatmanKing
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MUP 107 - The Recap that Came From GenCon

Post by GreatmanKing » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:31 am

If Chaosium is withdrawing from the monograph market, it would be interesting to see if someone picked up that slack. While there are plenty of licensee's out there, most of them, including Golden Goblin, all have the directions they're wanting to go in. Along with the kind of games they'd want/like to release. But it would be interesting to see if there's someone(s) willing to take up the monograph slack and give it a go. Even if it's doing something quarterly along a single theme and just finding the best of the bunch, doing 'em up real fancy with images, editing, etc and releasing them.

I'd be tempted to do that myself if I knew how to go about acquiring a license. If only 'cause getting and keeping people in the hobby'd is always a good goal to have, and one of the ways to do so is to give Johnny Everyman a voice. And besides, you never know when you've got the next Sandy or Oscar in the wings and all they need is that first published scenario to get them going?

I apologise for the ramble, but those were just some of the thoughts I was having as I was listening to the show. Keep up the good work, Gents! Great show as always...

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:28 pm

I love that idea, GreatmanKing, of someone picking up the monograph license. Hmm... something to consider.

GreatmanKing
Freshman
Freshman

Post by GreatmanKing » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:31 am

Keeper Jon wrote:I love that idea, GreatmanKing, of someone picking up the monograph license. Hmm... something to consider.
Trust me, I'm considering it greatly.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Does anyone have a link for the indiegogo campaign? Can't find it.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Ia Ia and thank you. :cthulhu2:
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:20 am

Yeah, I would like to see the monograph torch passed. Can't fault a company for trying to turn a profit given the financial state of Chaosium, but it is a niche that maybe someone else could fill. Probably PDF is the way to go. Thinking some kind of self published system with stuff on a website for free so license is not such a deal, and then the most popular could be uplifted with art and editing and offered for sale or donation. Gotta be a way to make that work.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Have not listened to the whole episode yet, but I should let people know that there are deckplans on the 'Steel Shipbuilding under the U. S. Shipping Board, 1917-1921'

They start appearing from "Contract Steel Ships, Part I" down. Each design 'type' in the illustration section has a deck plan above the pictures of ships of the same type. You will need a big monitor though as the pictures are non zoomable.

The internet archive has scans at least some of the books mentioned in the Jan Henri Cocatre-Zilgien article. If anyone wants to make use of this piece of history, here are two of them:

Building the emergency fleet; a historical narrative of the problems and achievements of the United States shipping board emergency fleet corporation
https://archive.org/stream/buildingemer ... 0/mode/2up

The building of a wooden ship (Google didn't bother to scan the deckplans though...)
https://archive.org/stream/buildingawoo ... 4/mode/2up
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:05 pm

Great episode as well! And thanks for letting us know about the indigogo...trying to determine how much to spend on it! :)

The discussion around fanzines and monographs was interesting. I am curious, if you created a Cthulhu fanzine, and did not sell it, would you have to get a license? IIRC, the Arkham Gazette did not have one until they had their kickstarter.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/