MUP Episode 106 - Do you KNOW if there's a LUCK APP?

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP Episode 106 - Do you KNOW if there's a LUCK APP?

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:42 am

In this week's episode, the whole gang is on tap to cover the last of the characteristics. LUCK be a lady? Don’t mind if I EDU! Is there and APP for that? This episode was recorded on July 25th, 2016.
We want to hear from you!
By email: feedback@mu-podcast.com
By phone: (401) 400-0MUP (0687)
By Twitter: @MU_Podcast
By Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/2/communities/116018663909122117898
By Speakpipe: (Click the floating tab on the far right of this page)
On our forum: mu-podcast.com/campus.
Like what you hear? Become a Patron! (please): mu-podcast.com/patron

Campus Crier
  • Necronomicon 2017 has been announced! Dates: August 17-20.
  • Legendary TV has been working on an anthology series based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft, including “The Call of Cthulhu”, “The Dunwich Horror”, and others.
  • Stranger Things - the Netflix series everyone is talking about, is a thing! Keepers Jon and Murph approve. Keeper Jon says: "Stephen Spielberg meets H. P. Lovecraft (though many say “meets Stephen King”) Best Lovecraftian story on television… ever."
  • Mansions of Madness - 2nd Edition - is out from Fantasy Flight Games. Now the game is run by an app, there is no “Keeper” player, and it is a fully co-op game. Blah… Where’s the fun without a Keeper?
  • Viewscream 2nd ed. From Rafael Chandler has been delivered.
  • Jon’s Lost Expedition has been released to backers in PDF format!
  • Puppetland - the proto-indie game by John Scott Tynes of that combines Mr. Rogers with House of 1000 Corpses - is now publicly available in PDF form. Hardcover is printing.
  • Lovecraft Film Festival is slated to get underway in Providence this Aug. 19 to 21.
  • Check out these musings from the desk of the Lovecraft Arts & Sciences Council regarding the HPL statue in Providence...
    More information >>

Card Catalog
From Graham: Pulp Magazines Project, described as an open database of Pulp Magazines devoted to those that carried only fictional works.

Bill from Niagara Falls, Ontario calls to talk about splitting parties (send NPCs to do the boring bits).

Canageek of the Suppressed Transmissions G+ group (which, again, we love) asks about gaming in the 1960s and Renaissance eras, among other things.

Golden Goblin Spotlight
The Heroes of Red Hook Kickstarter has concluded! Eight stretch goals were unlocked. Congratulations to all involved!

Topics
The owls are not what they APPear.

Without further EDU....

Are you feeling LUCKy, punk?
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MUP Episode 106 - Do you KNOW if there's a LUCK APP?

Post by Graham » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:00 pm

I've going to get a wing of the University named after me... Wow! :shock:
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:50 am

Another few good sources for Cthulhu gaming in the 1960s if I recall right. Strange Aeons2 has something there for one scenario & the other is that the Fall of Delta Green that Ken Hite is working on will be doing a lot in the 1960s (will have to wait until it's out to find out more). All for that & the Renaissance setting for more games.

On the idea of cell phones & modern games, I'd point to one great episode in a series. Go look at the AP on Role Playing Public Radio, God's Teeth. URL goes to the general page that gives where that series starts. If you want to skip ahead past some of the past horrors to the paranoia fun, look at episode 6. Chilling & great but really dark.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... en/page/2/

Liking how to give bonus luck of a few points with heroic actions which would help a little. One thing that I can't recall if it was in CoC or some other game with luck (maybe Dungeon Crawl Classics) where if you have a really high or low luck score that you get minor stuff happening too for reflecting that score. If going into Call of Cthulhu, getting out of an investigation scene with a PC with a high luck score might find some money or a new NPC contact nearby outside (that would give a discount on equipment), or with a low luck score their car might have a parking ticket or a shoe breaks or a flat tire. Thoughts??
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Oh, I like that idea of an extreme luck score triggering things quite a bit. That way at some point players are making a choice between spending down for a short term gain vs. the cost of unknown misfortune. Maybe after lower than 20% of starting luck, Keeper is encouraged to roll for things like flat tires, lost keys, campfire on yellow jacket nest, and so on. Not sure what to do on the upper extreme, though. If I have a starting luck of 70, does that mean I begin play with random fortune? It seems not. And if the threshold for random fortune is 90 or above, then only some characters would get the bonus, and only until they spend down. I suppose it could work that way.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:01 pm

It was really cool to know that you guys had heard of me. I'd love to know from where; just my postings on Suppressed transmissions, or have you seen my stuff elsewhere?

On cell phones: I recall reading a really cool description of how you could use them against players in an old Cthulhu magazine. However, I've totally forgotten which one, and even if I own it and didn't just read it in a store and put it back, my collection is at my parents place 3500 km away. Anyway, it talked about dropping signal, having players get calls from numbers they recognize (other players even), but then find no one is there (at best. Endless screaming at worst). Imagine getting a call from someone, having a conversation with them, and then while still on the phone with them, they enter the room, and both the phone and physically present version claims to be the real one.

When cell phones in games comes up I always think of a Warhammer event. Someone was sent in to investigate a planet, and calls back up to their ship. The only thing the person says is "All...is..not...well" over and over, with the same inflection each time. I'm imagining the players in a Delta Green getting a similar report. They are called in when the first person sent in does not return, then when they get in close their walkie-talkies start buzzing, with their agent repeating that message over, and over again....

I used to run my modern games set in 1999: The same year as The Matrix was set in, so there is an easy visual reference for how large cell phones are, what computers look like, and so on. That said, I was doing this in 2005 so it was pretty easy to remember what it was like back before wikipedia then; Heck, there weren't even smart phones yet, and our school (I was in high school at the time) was still using computers from the 90s, so it was very easy. It would be a lot harder to recall that stuff today....
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.