MUP 105 – Don’t Run, You’ll Only Die Winded

Discussion about podcast episodes
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
MUP 105 – Don’t Run, You’ll Only Die Winded

Post by trevlix » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:58 pm

(No one posted anything that I could see so I figured I'd throw this up - hope thats OK)

In this episode, the whole crew is back to discuss why you should DEX the halls, why POW corrupts and why SIZ matters. We can’t wait to stop making puns about characteristics.

This episode was recorded on July 11th, 2016.

Campus Crier

The Campus Crier is brought to you by our sponsor: Golden Goblin Press!

The Section 46 Field Manual from Cubicle 7 is now available to backers of the Cold War Cthulhu Kickstarter. It’ll be available for general sale “in a few weeks.” This is basically a player’s manual for the espionage plus Mythos setting, which takes place in the madcap 1970s during a lot of upheaval in the global intelligence community. Section 46 is the fictional department within the British SIS used as cover for fighting the Mythos. Officially, it is a department for coordinating intelligence with other allied governments.
Golden Goblin Spotlight:

We are happy to share that the Heroes of Red Hook KS has reached its funding goal with a couple weeks to spare. Oscar posted an update that details what the stretch goals will entail, and the order they’ll be found in.

Listener Feedback

We have a voicemail left by what sounds like it could be “Vitterman?” “Ritterven?” “Slenderman?”
“Hey, this is *Blah Blah* calling from a classroom way out west. Just wanted to say the Oscar interview was awesome and your guys’s recommendation when the Kickstarter went live is the reason I jumped in and I’m glad I did after listening to the interview so – Go Pods!”
And another voicemail from Keeper George, with a question on how we would handle a situation in a published scenario.
A scenario says to split the party. One will be more active than the other. Advice?
Topics

SIZ
Advice from Keeper Jon: Don’t run, you’ll only die winded.

In 7E it matters more than ever: affects Hit Points and Damage Bonus, plus Build and Movement Rate.

POW
Watch out for eyes appearing on your hands.

DEX

It’s the One Stat to Rule Them All.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Re: MUP 105 – Don’t Run, You’ll Only Die Winded

Post by trevlix » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Anyhow - originally came to post great job! Loved the episode. You guys were on top of your game as usual.

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 am

I'd love to hear Chad expand upon his research for Our American Cousins. The chapter he wrote covered a number of stomach-churning incidents that I'd not heard of before, especially in Bolivia.

The 1970s were a dark and strange time.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:46 pm

I very much look forward to doing that, Scott!

I have a stack of books to mention for a bibliography, and browser bookmark folders stuffed with references - of both sober and paranoid varieties.

Is there any roundabout ETA for American Cousins at this point? I can't wait to read other sections. Domestic intelligence ops at the time were also so bizarre.

And who wrote the intelligence theater chapter in the core book? There are plenty more great hooks in there for US-based PCs. I enjoyed reading that chapter immensely.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:42 pm

+1 on hearing more about Chad's research!

The discussion on splitting the party was great. One thing I would add (if it wasn't said...can't remember) is that if you do, if possible, always stop one party on a slight cliff-hanger when you move to the second party. This helps create a feeling of tension and reduces the boredom of waiting for your turn again. Even if the cliff-hanger is small, as in "You reach the door and turn the handle. The door creaks as it opens to reveal a...and over to the other party."

Morthrai
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Morthrai » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:15 pm

You guys mentioned that Scott looks like he's about to filk at any moment - given the resemblance 'twixt he and Tom Araya of Slayer I'd say he looks more like he's about to SHRED! :D
Lee Williams.
The Dark Times Fanzine
"There is more to darkness than the sun going down."

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:03 pm

Agreed! I would expect Scott is more likely to shred than to filk. Actually, since I know his musical tastes lean more toward Throbbing Gristle than thrash, I would say he is most likely to do whatever they do. Wreck? Unravel? Abominate?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Trevlix, I could not agree more because I agree so much. I have done that with split parties to great effect, and in one game tried to create cinematic tension during a scenario's climax by changing rapidly between parties.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Plays for Keepers