MUP 104 - Hero of Golden Goblin

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 104 - Hero of Golden Goblin

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:05 pm

For Episode 104, we have guest Oscar Rios! We take this opportunity to discuss his new Kickstarter project, Heroes of Red Hook, and some things that are yet to be announced. This episode was recorded on June 27th, 2016.

Campus Crier
The Campus Crier is brought to you by our sponsor: Golden Goblin Press!

Did Google Earth Accidentally Photograph The Kraken Or Even Cthulhu?

Howard Lovecraft and The Frozen Kingdom coming to Blu-ray

Lynne Hardy to write new Call of Cthulhu campaign 'Children of Fear'

Miss your copy of The Derelict?
Chaosium didn’t participate in Free RPG day to create a collectable or scarce scenario only available to a small subset of our fans (we did it to show our support for bricks & mortar game stores all over the world!). But we appreciate that some people went to a FLGS on the day, only to find all the copies of Sandy Petersen's 'The Derelict' had been snapped up. And many of you simply aren't in an area with a participating local game store.
So, if you really want a copy of Sandy and Mike's 'The Derelict', this is what we can do:
Everyone here in the Cult of Chaos got a free PDF download of 'The Derelict' on July 1st.
If you also want the physical version, it is now available via Lulu.com at cost price - $2.99 + postage.

Weird Detective - This is a five issue limited series. It is published by Dark Horse Comics; it's written by Fred Van Lente and illustrated by Guiu Vilanova. I have the first issue, and it is freaking amazing. It is very well steeped in the Cthulhu Mythos! I want to talk more about it, but I don't want to spoil anything. Trust me when I say that it doesn't just lightly brush up against the Cthulhu Mythos... no, this series fully embraces it in a most fantastic way. It is Call of Cthulhu the role-playing game meets Law & Order.

Chthonian Highways - This role-playing game is currently free to download from Drive-Thru RPG. I just downloaded this, and I've begun reading it. This is also freaking awesome! This game is Mad Max: The Road Warrior meets Call of Cthulhu! The players are all part of a road warrior gang with a small fleet of souped-up and armored-up cars as you brave the wastelands between pockets of civilizations in a post-apocalyptic world. The mechanics seem easy to learn and fun to play. I am already planning on starting a game of Chthonian Highways with some of my co-worker gamers. The company, Ironspine, is calling this an alpha playtest, so go download this free game... learn it... run it... and give 'em some feedback. I anticipate them getting a lot of positive responses.

MUP News-
As the weekly thing kinda blew up on the launch pad, I think that bi-weekly is the best way to continue on with 105 forward.

Topics

The Heroes of Red Hook Kickstarter.

In the talk about the origins of the Heroes of Red Hook, Oscar mentions the GGP party at NecronomiCon 2015. This was also mentioned in episode 88.

We mention the Tales of the Caribbean project from GGP.

Oscar briefly goes over a couple of upcoming projects, the next Call of Cthulhu campaign, and the next fiction anthology.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

GreatmanKing
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MUP 104 - Hero of Golden Goblin

Post by GreatmanKing » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:27 am

It's nice to see that minorities are being represented in Mythos fiction. It definitely has the potential to expand the sandbox that we all love to play in. The one topic I would love to tackle in at some point is those with disabilities. Even if it isn't done in the realm of the traditional setting (1920's America) I would love to see how a disable person or person would take on the insanity of the Mythos...

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:38 pm

GreatmanKing wrote:It's nice to see that minorities are being represented in Mythos fiction. It definitely has the potential to expand the sandbox that we all love to play in. The one topic I would love to tackle in at some point is those with disabilities. Even if it isn't done in the realm of the traditional setting (1920's America) I would love to see how a disable person or person would take on the insanity of the Mythos...
Completely agree. And it bears looking at the way the horror genre handles disability. From body horror to characters with intellectual disabilities, fear of disability as "other" is rampant in horror - sometimes to great effect, and sometimes retreading outmoded stereotypes.

By the way, I'm fairly sure that Heroes of Red Hook includes an autistic protagonist. But I sense you are talking about physical disability, and you're right about the need for more exploration there.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Ritterton
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Ritterton » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Great interview and just affirmed why I jumped into the kickstarter when you all shard info about it. Sounds like some great storis and characters.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 am

I have been actively campaigning against and boycotting Oscar Rios and Golden Goblin since episode 41 in which in a phone in comment Oscar poo-poo'd and shredded my comment about how it's more Lovecraftian (and less hamfisted) to have a friend or relative of a dead investigator come into the game rather than a random NPC. The friend or relative following the Investigator's travels via postcards, letters or other correspondence. To implement this I'd have my player roll up their second character in advance with the idea that the first character would be corresponding with them.

Oscar went on to ridicule my premise and postulate that having a hotel bellboy or random hobo would be preferable. This alone was enough for me to conclude that Oscar has no grasp or concept of what 'Lovecraftian' is. Fer crissakes, how many of HPL's stories are in the form of warning letters left for relatives or colleagues not to follow in their footsteps? I can think of two right off the top of my head...Call of Cthulhu & At the Mountains of Madness.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:53 pm

...aaaaand we're funded! Looking forward to seeing if we can hit some of those stretch goals, I want to draw some more for this :)

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 pm

fallingtower wrote:I have been actively campaigning against and boycotting Oscar Rios and Golden Goblin since episode 41 in which in a phone in comment Oscar poo-poo'd and shredded my comment about how it's more Lovecraftian (and less hamfisted) to have a friend or relative of a dead investigator come into the game rather than a random NPC. The friend or relative following the Investigator's travels via postcards, letters or other correspondence. To implement this I'd have my player roll up their second character in advance with the idea that the first character would be corresponding with them.

Oscar went on to ridicule my premise and postulate that having a hotel bellboy or random hobo would be preferable. This alone was enough for me to conclude that Oscar has no grasp or concept of what 'Lovecraftian' is. Fer crissakes, how many of HPL's stories are in the form of warning letters left for relatives or colleagues not to follow in their footsteps? I can think of two right off the top of my head...Call of Cthulhu & At the Mountains of Madness.
I can see where some players may want to go with the "immediacy" of a character that is eye witness to the scenario events, and thus they get embroiled into the adventure, but I am much more of a fan of bringing in new characters that are friends, colleagues, or family members of the newly deceased character. Just like you said, FallingTower, your current PC is/was sending a letter stream, (a-la Jackson Elias), back home to one or more folks there. Then, when the next letter is late, or another PC sends their condolences, that close personal character with "skin in the game" comes for answers to their friend's death, and to avenge it if at all possible.

Can the bellhop join the merry band of investigators? Sure, but what happened to get him so quickly involved into the mystery? But, that difference of opinion hasn't shunned me from Oscar's work; for me, it's just a different perspective. But, it wasn't my opinion or idea that was publicly shredded. Your perspective is completely valid and understood. Thanks for listening. :cthulhu1:

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:35 am

Pledged!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:21 pm

fallingtower wrote:I have been actively campaigning against and boycotting Oscar Rios and Golden Goblin since episode 41 in which in a phone in comment Oscar poo-poo'd and shredded my comment about how it's more Lovecraftian (and less hamfisted) to have a friend or relative of a dead investigator come into the game rather than a random NPC. The friend or relative following the Investigator's travels via postcards, letters or other correspondence. To implement this I'd have my player roll up their second character in advance with the idea that the first character would be corresponding with them.

Yeah, the beauty of this game is that there is room for many different techniques and play styles. I promise you that none of us, including Oscar, think we have the final word on how people should run their games. Your point is taken - it can be dangerous to say something is "more Lovecraftian" than something else. The mood you achieve at your table is the only proof of what works and what does not.

But man, I would encourage you to relax the sanctions against Golden Goblin. We all have strong opinions about certain things ("Cults must be broadly defined! Never fudge die rolls!") and it can sound harsh when we shoot from the hip while recording. But in the end, I am always surprised and delighted when someone does something in a way I wouldn't immediately agree with, only to discover that it buoys the fun in unexpected ways.

Also, you'd honestly be missing out on some of the best Call of Cthulhu writing in the industry. Think of all those other struggling but brilliant writers in GG books, like Brian Sammons, Dan Harms, Stuart Boon and Kevin Ross (who came out of deep retirement just for GG). And all of those guys have different ideas about every part of CoC and how to get it just right.

Sorry you felt steamrolled on that. Don't stop sending ideas!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:21 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:

Yeah, the beauty of this game is that there is room for many different techniques and play styles. I promise you that none of us, including Oscar, think we have the final word on how people should run their games. Your point is taken - it can be dangerous to say something is "more Lovecraftian" than something else. The mood you achieve at your table is the only proof of what works and what does not.

But man, I would encourage you to relax the sanctions against Golden Goblin. We all have strong opinions about certain things ("Cults must be broadly defined! Never fudge die rolls!") and it can sound harsh when we shoot from the hip while recording. But in the end, I am always surprised and delighted when someone does something in a way I wouldn't immediately agree with, only to discover that it buoys the fun in unexpected ways.

Also, you'd honestly be missing out on some of the best Call of Cthulhu writing in the industry. Think of all those other struggling but brilliant writers in GG books, like Brian Sammons, Dan Harms, Stuart Boon and Kevin Ross (who came out of deep retirement just for GG). And all of those guys have different ideas about every part of CoC and how to get it just right.

Sorry you felt steamrolled on that. Don't stop sending ideas!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Eh...Sammbo is a cool dude...maybe for his sake.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft