MUP 18- New Keepers & Blob Monsters

Discussion about podcast episodes
MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MUP 18- New Keepers & Blob Monsters

Post by MikeM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi

Completely that good scenario design should aim to build-out the need for getting player back on track - however players being players, good scenario design can (sometimes) fail when faced with unusual player antics. We've tried to put advice for keepers on topics like this into 7E.

It should be noted that the Luck spend mechanic in 7E is an optional rule not a core rule.

The Idea roll has been tightened up and may end the players in hot water if they use it (increasing drama and advancing the story at the same time).

Mike M
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:38 pm

MikeM wrote:Hi

Completely that good scenario design should aim to build-out the need for getting player back on track - however players being players, good scenario design can (sometimes) fail when faced with unusual player antics. We've tried to put advice for keepers on topics like this into 7E.

It should be noted that the Luck spend mechanic in 7E is an optional rule not a core rule.

The Idea roll has been tightened up and may end the players in hot water if they use it (increasing drama and advancing the story at the same time).

Mike M
Good points. I think we're going to talk about the Push mechanic next (am I talking out of school?). That's another 7E rule that MUP seems 100% behind.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:
trevlix wrote: - I love that you brought up that shoggoths can be made of other material, like lava, etc. I wrote a scenario where a shoggoth is composed of acid. Not a happy day for the investigators.
Willing to share stats?
I just looked and it turns out that I never wrote up the stats. Every time the investigators got to it they didn't last long. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you the scenario.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:52 am

trevlix wrote:I just looked and it turns out that I never wrote up the stats. Every time the investigators got to it they didn't last long. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you the scenario.
Sure! I'd love to take a look.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Surprised with the talk of the shuggoth lord that the villain Clayface from the Batman Animated series wasn't brought up. Something like this monster could be in a scenario copying some of clayface's moves & flaws where it might be able to copy someone while maybe not getting it right (or looking right but moving or speaking wrong), could also go with some shuggoth lord trying to disguise as a person, dealing with a lot of distractions then having the players watch as the face is slowly starting to melt as it can't keep the form stable.

Course now I need to rewatch Phantoms as I recall it being okay but can't recall much on it, plus not a big fan of Dean Koontz as many bookstores wind up filtering his stuff into the horror section when it might be better off in the mystery/suspense section. This results in the horror section usually crammed with shelves of his stuff when better horror authors usually get ignored as there's no room for them.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)