MUP 098 - Modernity is Not Safety

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 098 - Modernity is Not Safety

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:47 am

Episode 98 features Keepers Jon, Murf, and Dan. We talk about ideas for creating scenarios that are specifically modern in content or tone.
This episode was recorded on April 18, 2016.

Campus Crier
The Campus Crier is brought to you by our new sponsor: Golden Goblin Press! Image

Golden Goblin Press Release!
“We now have an independent fiction line, but remain committed to producing RPG's.

Our 1st independent fiction book is called Heroes of Red Hook, a collection celebrating diversity in the Cthulhu Mythos. Kickstarter launches June 20th, 2016”

Google Plus post by Michael O'Brien, Apr 16, 2016-
Congratulations to our friends at Cubicle 7 who have received an Origins 2016 Awards nomination for Cthulhu Britannica, the "ultimate guide to running games of Call of Cthulhu set in London"!

"The Dunwich Horror" (1970) and "Murders in the Rue Morgue" (1971) — have been paired in a new Blu-ray release from Shout! Factory

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure
A comedy cosmic horror point and click adventure made in Transylvania. Lucas Arts style, Lovecraft horrors, general insanity!

Campaign Coins have released the Medallion of Ithaqua pulled from the pages of Horror on the Orient Express for only $30.

Listener Feedback-
Voicemail from Unknown-
“Hello, Miska. Tonic university podcast. I don't want you to lose your exciting providence area phone number, so I thought I'd leave you a voicemail. I enjoyed your episode recently discussing the shock appeal board, but I had a minor if not equipment, but a question. I know you don't really want to go into spoilers, but I think it would have been helpful to discuss the origin of the Michael shay story that base as that story is pretty informative, and it's been pretty heavily apologize so while it's not everywhere most readers, specially the one who really wants to see the genesis of the shot record man wanted again to it. So that would be a suggestion or maybe talking about I can take it to scenarios with appear and courses that famous illustration with Mr. Shining, so I don't spoil anything done and saying the name, but both would be you know maybe a little spoiler warning is good to have I'm running long so I let it go. go Todd”

Fat Face by Michael Shea (Kindle Edition)

Mr Shiny image in question (I think)
According to the info on the page, the Mr. Shiny image was a take on Sandy.

Mr.Shiny Sculpt from a Kickstarter

Cryptocurium Spotlight-

The May Edition of the Parcel of Terror has Nessie, who may in fact be Jack the Ripper!

Topic -

Idea from Mike Mason-
Themes/topics/styles to use in modern day scenarios that aren't specifically Delta Green. What sort of games would be cool for modern day.

Legs by Jim Phillips
Free to download, play, and share!

I Survived the Zombie Apocalypse
Guardian article on the show

The Lock-In, by Jon Hook
In the book: Dead Leaves Fall

The Space Between, by Scott Dorward
In the book: Nameless Horrors
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Citysliker
Junior
Junior
Re: MUP 098 - Modernity is Not Safety

Post by Citysliker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Mr Shiney is actually a drawing by Les Edwards called Chiller.

Published in a few books including a fantastic collection of his art called Blood & Iron by Games Workshop in 1989.

http://www.lesedwards.com/galleries/vin ... iller/1190
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Iron-Edw ... entries*=0

:)

GreatmanKing
Freshman
Freshman

Post by GreatmanKing » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:43 pm

I got listening to your show on the way to Tech this morning, and came up with a couple of ideas for people to riff on for isolation in the modern day.

1st:- If people try to use their cellphones/landline to call for help, instead of getting the police or their friends they keep getting random numbers. Like Mario's Pizzaria, or a German Spa Pool or something. All of whom thing the PC's are crazy when they try to get whoever's on the other end to send help.

2nd:- In response to fast food joints, as part of one of the more recent Supernatural TV show seasons they had the BBEG (big bad evil guy) infect the hamburger patties of a fast food chain with a substance that made people docile enough to eat. So maybe the Mi-Go or whoever are doing something similar? Or maybe Atlach-Nacha is using it to spread her/it's spiders. I don't know, but there's probably something in that.

3rd:- Maybe someone has managed to 'save' a Mytho's creature onto a floppy disk and someone has found it and is using it to terrorise a town/location. Or even a spell has been turned into a computer program and every time someone activates it, something happens like a summoning or a portal opens.

Not the greatest ideas I know, but they're definitely a take on could be done...

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 am

Good episode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Excellent, as usual, lads!

You can find some more excellent "reality show gone wrong" scenario idea in the show "The River." There's only a single season, but it should be on Netflix. The show centers on a "Crocodile Hunter" style naturalist who goes missing while filming in the Amazon, and his family and network producers mount a televised follow-up expedition, when a clue to his whereabouts suddenly comes to light. The mysteries get deeper and things get weirder as the show goes along, but it's excellent fodder for developing a modern horror scenario. Another one of those show that got canned just as it was picking up, unfortunately...

I've also had great success running a Cthulhu Dark scenario focused on baby monitors, numbers stations, and a strange lights on a turkey farm that I'm planning on writing up more formally. I'll post it up here whenever I get free time again :)

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Nvision wrote:

I've also had great success running a Cthulhu Dark scenario focused on baby monitors, numbers stations, and a strange lights on a turkey farm that I'm planning on writing up more formally. I'll post it up here whenever I get free time again :)
Yes! Sounds excellent. Please do!
Not a hack!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:05 pm

You had me at baby monitors, number stations, strange lights and turkey farm!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Tue May 03, 2016 11:47 pm

GreatmanKing wrote:3rd:- Maybe someone has managed to 'save' a Mytho's creature onto a floppy disk and someone has found it and is using it to terrorise a town/location. Or even a spell has been turned into a computer program and every time someone activates it, something happens like a summoning or a portal opens.
That idea was actually used for a magazine published scenario in the 1990s, that one involved enchanted 5 and a quarter inch floppy disks. Thankfully this is one of those cases where the issue has been made available in PDF form. Links below are to the Cthulhu Wiki

Scenario: Video Nightmare

Magazine: Challenge, Issue 61
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sun May 08, 2016 12:03 pm

I posted this You-tube video on the Yog-Sothoth.com last year, it might make for a hook into a modern based scenario set in the remoter parts of the US...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeROfH3V7ig

There is also a 2015 film set in the "...middle of nowhere..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNeUjtjD6Y

This review will give some clues as to why Keepers may want to check it out...

http://moria.co.nz/horror/southbound-2015.htm
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 am

A few good non-DG modern games in the recent Unspeakable Oath issues from Cold Dead Hand & others. Dockside Dogs also is a good one to easily put in modern plus Atomic Cthulhu stuff easier to put ahead a few decades (or do a 2 part with the Atomic Cthulhu book where they play a scenario then have the descendants/survivors decades later going against the consequences).

Other ideas, seen the movie The Stuff? Just leaving that there as a modern trail to go into. Breaking into my memory, I believe there were a few Cthulhu AP like the Lock-in on RPPR community actual plays & recall Ross saying that it will be moving (as the site change didn't make it affordable) so those are out there somewhere (could also be on Skype of Cthulhu?). Speaking of RPPR, Sunset of the King & other actual plays are a mix of classic & modern setting so listen to them. You can also take some of the Cthulhu Dark episodes on RPPR to flesh out into a modern CoC game.

What about with 3d printing that you put in some sort of Escher design that brings forth unspeakable angles? And with the hounds of tindalos, could there be a master of the hunt or some sorcerer using the hounds? Thinking of other creatures, you could have some parasites falling off the hounds that leave panic to the characters.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)