MUP 096 - Do Not Open This Door

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 096 - Do Not Open This Door

Post by Keeper Dan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:10 am

Episode 96 brings in all four hosts for an examination of the social skills in the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Rules as Written. In this discussion, we come to a realization on an aspect of Pushing that's written down, but we hadn't considered before. We also have a chat about using other things for scenario seeds, like weird dreams and actual experiences that can be mined for ideas.
This episode was recorded on February 22, 2016.

Campus Crier
Cult of Chaos event fliers are now available on the Chaosium website!

These one page fliers are available in both color and black and white.

H.P. Lovecraft Birthplace Marker Kickstarter
by NecronomiCon PVD

The panthery pantherness of the Conan RPG slayed the funding goal in 4 hours.

Sandy Petersen is Attacking Pathfinder!
Petersen Games is releasing its first RPG product! It's a new project titled Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder where over +100 Cthulhu entities, as well as rules for bringing Lovecraft (from the foremost experts of it) to the High Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery world of Pathfinder.

Not only that, but all of our miniatures are becoming available as sets to be accommodating to any game master. This means that if you're a Pathfinder fan, then you are only one Book away from using your miniatures to use in your next campaign!

Also, if you just wanted to grab another box of Ghouls, or Deep Ones. This is a great time to jump in. We're making these sets available in this unique format only for this project!

Cthulhu Wars figurines are finally shipping for backers of Dark Regions Press’s World War Cthuhu IndieGoGo campaign.

First Person Lovecraftian short film9 minutes of Investigator fun!

Lovecraft Country novel brings out the horror in Human hate.
Seattle Times
Barnes & Noble
AV Club

CoC 7e Kickstarter update -

I held off sending the update over the weekend because I expected an update from the printers on the departure of the books. Since I am still waiting for an update from them all I know is that the books are in Hong Kong getting ready to depart. Without further info I didn't want to wait any longer before publishing this update. Work has continued on a number of things though.
  • The Premium Temple Edition books are about to enter production for our top backers.
  • Final versions of the PDFs for the Keeper Rulebook and Investigator Handbook were made available.
  • Pulp Cthulhu art has been coming in, and the book has had some layout work done for the sections with completed art.
The second shipment items

Items like the Card Decks, Book Plates, Bookmarks, Stratigraph, and similar are ready to print. Once we have paid the massive shipping expenses on the first shipment of items we will then start spending money on the second shipment of items. The dice and Innsmouth Gold are all done and in the warehouse and will be part of the second shipment. In short, we sincerely wish we had enough money to print and ship everything all at once, but that just isn't the case. We need to do this in two phases as we manage expenses and revenue. An important part of that is the revenue we will get from the regular sale of the Keeper Rulebook, Investigator handbook, Keeper's Pack, Petersen Guide, and Nameless Horrors after the backers have been sent theirs from the regional warehouses.

Punktown Cthulhu update: finally. Maybe 3-4 months turnaround until they can ship?

Jon Reviews - The Shadow out of Providence

Keeper News-
There’s a gaming store in Sioux Falls, SD, and a bi-weekly CoC game already there!
*Update* Dan is doing character creation and joining them on March 9.

There’s also a con coming to town!
http://www.siouxpercon.com/

New store in Lufkin as well, with an interesting business model...

http://gamersandglam.com/

Feedback-
Voicemail from Brian in MA!
Enjoy the Google transcription:
hey guys it's brian over here in massachusetts i just got done listening to podcasts episode 95 + regarding octon chris hulu elder god like i believe that is going to be status doubt for call of chris to lou 6th edition as well as the savage world's system i don't have the screen image in front of me but i believe i read that i don't have it yet so i can verify that 100% so you might want to double check me but i believe i remember reading somewhere online that it is being status out for 6 addition colors go through as well as the savage world system so okay just wanted to call him with that say go pods and looking forward to your next episode okay take care bye bye

Cryptocurium Spotlight
The March Edition of the Parcel of Terror is the beginning of a new series of wall plaques and magnets!

Topic 1-
Forum note from Mike Mason:
PvP - see 7e Rulebook page 60 - Interpersonal Skills: Disambiguation.

This covers PvP social skill rolls and clears up any ambiguity.

Also, in 7e, each skill in Chapter 4: skills has details of suggested opposing skills. You may want to use this a basis if you discuss this topic again.

Cheers

Mike

Charm p60
Fast Talk p65
Intimidate p67
Persuade p72

Difficulty levels p94
Topic 2 -

Personal scares, dreams and nightmares as scenario fodder.
Murph: Blue grass landscape, high school classmate’s talking head on a pike. Guilt over killing the guy.

Nicotine nightmare: walking through high school, finds cigarettes in pocket, then sees friend - who is a giant cigarette. Caught smoking by wife.

Jon: nightmare of abandonment… vacation dream as a kid, traveling with go carts, visit weird house, family leaves me behind in the house… alone

Chad: real story, broke into factory… “Do Not Open this Door”

The Reply All podcast goes urban spelunking

Jon had a story of searching the "drainage" system of a castle off the Rhine River in Germany. (We all know it was the sewer)
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MUP 096 - Do Not Open This Door

Post by EddyPo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:50 pm

I enjoyed this episode, especially the scenario ideas grown from your personal nightmares. Reminded me of one I had when I was a kid.

My grandma had this walk-in closet. I dreamt that a shirt from her walk-in closet floated out and tried to strangle me.

You should have a segment where you invite listeners send in their nightmares and you turn those into scenario seeds...or recommend good psychotropics.
Not a hack!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:18 am

That does sound like fun! And your shirt ghost sounds amazing. I think i also remember having somewhat like uncanny valley feelings about clothes with no people in them. Shaped like people, but not people. Like the shed skins of snakes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by MikeM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Great episode guys!
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 am

Good episode with coverage of the lesser known 7E rules.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Great episode & love the thing brought up in this episode with skill combinations, which can lead to a lot of interesting things from the sound of it. Like the MUP hosts, also enjoy reading the PDF version but will feel a lot better once it gets overseas to the friendly local game stores so I can buy it to read off the print version.

Another thought with the dreams & the head on the pike instantly reminded me of American Werewolf in London. It would be a lot of fun in the game to either have a repeating dream go to a player where they are going through things like fear & disgust to later in the game having conversations with the head knowing all that happened to it in the dream.

Putting stuff in the dreams for unconscious for the player character to figure out is a nice thing I didn't even think of until mentioned on the episode. If going the shared dream route especially if the players don't realize it's shared, go find some good trigger items to try to force someone into talking about the dream then the realization of the others having that dream too.

For the dream about abandonment in the game, try this idea, to overstate that happening where one character might choose to stay behind or just create some paranoia, give them the dream of the house & having the other character(s) leave but give the abandoned character in the game the dream but from another character's POV where they might pick up on some note or thoughts of what their dream self is thinking before turning away from the abandoned character.

With the door marked not to open, give the player character dreams about the door being there & opened then as the cliffhanger to the next session, they find some relative that found a door like that & opened it so now the fear shifts from opening the door for that player character to someone they know opening it plus having to find the door & go in to save the relative.

-

On I believe the Unspeakable Oath there was one urban exploration of the NW I would have loved to join in on (can't recall the episode #) but there was talk of some older masonic home that would be quite a treat to explore from the sound of it.

Agreed about mannequins. Won't put the trailer here as it's an early 1980s film & the trailer kinda spoils things but look at a film called Tourist Trap. Was curious to see if it was on youtube but only parts so track down the whole film & see it as cold as possible. Very creepy.

Also another way to deal with sanity loss or just ghosts would be to have fun with the mannequins in the game, where they will move when not looked at or in a various poses. Or if the player goes to sleep they are surrounding him/her.

When the figure in the corner was described in the dream I thought of this, would be fun to figure out stats to this Spirit Halloween creation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwNMe7RvCSQ

-

Question from an episode back, did a recording of the Haunting game done at Aethercon ever get to floating online somewhere to listen to??
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)