Eldritch Horror

Tell us about the new thing you picked up. Be it a game, module, mini, dice, board game, novel, comic, video game, music, or whatever. Share what you love, or loathe with everyone.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Eldritch Horror

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Hey guys. I just bought Eldritch Horror, a new Cthulhu Mythos game by Fantasy Flight Games. This game is set in the same Arkham Horror universe of games that they have been establishing. The game is very similar in look and feel to Arkham Horror, but it plays much smoother and faster. It is my theory that FFG is going to sunset Arkham Horror and only support the new Eldritch Horror, because after reading the rules for Eldritch Horror it feels like the designers were tasked with fixing all of the cumbersome aspects of Arkham Horror to make the game run faster and smoother. And I think they succeeded supremely with Eldritch Horror.

I purchased both the core game and the first expansion, Forsaken Lore. And I'm already looking forward to the next expansion, Mountains of Madness, set to come out in Q4 of this year. Luckily for me, my birthday is in November, so maybe it'll be a birthday gift or X-mas gift. Fingers crossed!

I'm in the midst of playing a solo game of this, but it's already one of my favorite games. Love it. Get it if you're a fan of FFG's family of Cthulhu Mythos games.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Eldritch Horror

Post by fallingtower » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:21 am

I may soon finally be able to get into more gaming. I am finally getting a day shift.

Anyhoo-there is a little game store near me that is always running Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror or some other Cthulhoid board game. Gonna check em out.

Looking at the FFG artwork makes me wish the 7e art could've upped their game to that level. Some of it is very eh.

A link for youtube vid of Eldritch Horror and said cool art.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:47 am

I've always wanted to get into the Lovecraftian board game scene, but they are all so expensive. Also, they look ridiculously complicated, and it's always a chore to get my friends to pay attention long enough to learn to play...

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Wordcraftian wrote:I've always wanted to get into the Lovecraftian board game scene, but they are all so expensive. Also, they look ridiculously complicated, and it's always a chore to get my friends to pay attention long enough to learn to play...
A great place to buy games is Miniature Market. They always sell games at a discount, and also have a daily sale of a game that has an even better discount than normal. Try checking out Elder Sign first. It is also set in the Arkham Horror universe of games, but it is set inside of a museum in Arkham. If you guys enjoy that, then may I suggest Mansions of Madness after that.

Yes. The games are a tad pricy, even with the Miniature Market discount, but they are an absolute blast to play with tons and tons of replay ability. I think once your players get a taste of it, you'll have their attention for the entire game.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 am

Thanks for the heads up on Miniature Market. Will definitely make my wife aware of their existence... Christmas is approaching. Lol.