Episode 70 - The Colour Out of Space (part 2)

Discussion forum for the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast
Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Episode 70 - The Colour Out of Space (part 2)

Post by Scott Dorward » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:22 pm

We're back, and we're wrapping up our discussion of Lovecraft's story The Colour Out of Space by looking at adaptations and gaming inspiration. This may be the most influential of Lovecraft stories, impacting other media like a star falling from the heavens, then gradually insinuating itself into public consciousness.

This episode also contains a short interview with Huan Vu, director of Die Farbe (our favourite film version of the story) and the forthcoming feature, The Dreamlands.

This is the final episode recorded on our trusty old Yeti microphone. The interview was conducted over Skype, however, and my end of it sounds like it was recorded up a badger's arse. Apologies for that!

Tore
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Episode 70 - The Colour Out of Space (part 2)

Post by Tore » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Great episode! You really do get a lot of bang for your buck with every new installment. I like the idea of a Sound Out Of Space. Put it in a city environment (say a dilapidated apartment building or tower block full of dilapidated artists) and you have The Hum Of Erich Zann. There might be a whole underground music scene which is an attempt at communication with the Hum.
Where Yig doth tread no man treads tomorrow.
Reeking death, harvest of humans in hatred.
Suck on the shitbag of what you created, what we created.
Yig now incoming, Yig now is here.
Yig he makes everything impossibly queer.

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Tore wrote:Great episode! You really do get a lot of bang for your buck with every new installment. I like the idea of a Sound Out Of Space. Put it in a city environment (say a dilapidated apartment building or tower block full of dilapidated artists) and you have The Hum Of Erich Zann. There might be a whole underground music scene which is an attempt at communication with the Hum.
I like that. It could turn into the ultimate earworm, spreading through the population as people hum it. Eventually it might infect birdsong, taking to the skies.

"All consciousness constantly aspires towards the condition of music."

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:16 am

Excellent episode. It's my favorite story of all HPL (sorry Matt) and you guys did an excellent job covering it.

A little unintentional cross pollination: MUP covered conspiracies in the episode to be released next, and there is some riffing on ways to connect Colour-tainted reservoirs with fluoridation. Should have listened to this episode before recording. Sooooo many great ideas.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Thank you!

There must be a reason why similar ideas insinuated themselves into our minds around the same time. Maybe it's something in the water.