Episode 65 - Karl Edward Wagner's Sticks

Discussion forum for the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast
Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Episode 65 - Karl Edward Wagner's Sticks

Post by Scott Dorward » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 pm

We're back, and we're looking at another classic weird tale. This time it's the turn of Karl Edward Wagner's Sticks. This is an odd sort of Mythos tale, and one which has had an equally odd influence on horror media in general. Fans of True Detective and The Blair Witch Project take note.

The episode also includes a meaty introduction to Wagner and his work. While he's not quite been forgotten in the 20 years since his death, the difficulty of getting hold of his work for reasonable prices has led to him becoming more obscure than he should be. Apologies if this episode starts you on an expensive journey of book collecting!

cangelucci
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Episode 65 - Karl Edward Wagner's Sticks

Post by cangelucci » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Thank you for another enjoyable podcast.

One "easter egg" you didn't mention is that "Ken(t) Allard", along with being the name of the Lovecraft stand-in and one of Wagner's pen names, is the name of the man who, in The Shadow pulp novels by Walter Gibson, took the identity of Lamont Cranston after returning to New York City from his occult studies in the East.

Cheers,

Chris Angelucci
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Re: Episode 65 - Karl Edward Wagner's Sticks

Post by Scott Dorward » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks, Chris! Glad you enjoyed the episode!

Despite having read a bunch of old Shadow novels in my youth, I had completely failed to make the connection with the name. I remembered The Shadow being Lamont Cranston, but I'd forgotten the Allard connection. Thanks for reminding me!