Episode 64 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess, continued

Discussion forum for the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast
Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Episode 64 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess, continued

Post by Scott Dorward » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:01 pm

If you enjoyed episode 63's look at Lamentations of the Flame Princess, here's the follow-up interview with James Raggi that we promised. It's also there if you didn't enjoy the last episode. You may just be a bit less happy about it.

In case none of this sounds familiar, Lamentations of the Flame Princess is pseudo-historical old-school RPG that uses elements from weird fiction, which should make it of interest to Call of Cthulhu fans, and James Raggi is the man behind the game. James has some forthright opinions about games and why they shouldn't be fun, and he shares them and so much more with us.

Gerall
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Episode 64 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess, continu

Post by Gerall » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Interesting to hear Mr. Raggi speak to the origin of his game's title - I'd long wondered where that melancholic phrase had come from!

His willingness to allow authors their shot at unique layout and design is refreshing. Not everyone has a Masters of Fine Arts from Yale like Zak S, but there should always be room for experimentation in the presentation of gaming materials. Monotony is a kind of design, but one with a relatively low SAN score (IMO)...

I was pleased to hear the playtests of Mr. Dorward's William Shakespeare's The King In Yellow were turning out well! My vision swims with images of Shakespeare and Marlowe, bound together at one wrist, fighting over the knife Hastur has dropped into their pit on the shores of Lake Hali... Any word on when your final edits will be done, good sir?

Great to hear from you as always, gentlemen!
--Gerall
Hide from the stars!

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Re: Episode 64 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess, continu

Post by Scott Dorward » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:51 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed the interview, Gerall!

Development is going well with William Shakespeare's 'The King in Yellow'. I've run two playtest groups through different aspects of it now, and I've got a good idea of what works and what doesn't. There are still a few areas that remain untested, so I've lined up a new group to try them out.

I'll soon be starting the process of turning tens of thousands of words of notes into something usable. This is going to be a big book!