Episode 63 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Discussion forum for the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast
Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Episode 63 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Post by Scott Dorward » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

Our latest episode is our look at Lamentations of the Flame Princess, a game which combines weird horror, old-school D&D and an aesthetic that may cause sensitive souls to crumple and flame like a crisp packet on a bonfire.

We originally planned to include an interview with the game's author and publisher, James Raggi, but we talked for so long that we've had to hive that off into a follow-up episode. We considered blaming James's loquaciousness, but given how much we all talked this episode, the fault may lie closer to home!

Gerall
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Episode 63 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Post by Gerall » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:04 pm

I enjoyed the episode and your insights!

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is one of the few games that match Call of Cthulhu in several regards:
- Other humans are the most dangerous combatants you can face and expect to survive. (The caveat being, in LotFP, that equation skews swiftly should your opponent have several levels on you.)
- The creatures presented in each scenario and write-up I've found for LotFP are also dangerous to more than just your character's hit points. Sanity damage is a danger lurking behind each non-human description.
- Spellbooks and magic items should be relegated to a single victi- er, possessor.

I'm excited to hear the interview with Mr. Raggi. His opinions and thoughts about weird fantasy gaming have always been . . . remarkable.

Thanks very much for your efforts in bringing us your voices and research!
--Gerall
Hide from the stars!

Fasckira
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Episode 63 - Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Post by Fasckira » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Gerall wrote:- The creatures presented in each scenario and write-up I've found for LotFP are also dangerous to more than just your character's hit points. Sanity damage is a danger lurking behind each non-human description.
I quite like this way of looking at it. Some of the most delightful conclusions to LotFP games I've been in or ran have been where the characters have survived but in less-than-human states.

Really loved this episode, and looking forward greatly to the James Raggi interview!
"The ground quakes with the anger of the people. Their cries echo in the heavens. Now is the time for this to end."