World War Cthulhu Special

Discussion forum for the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast
Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
World War Cthulhu Special

Post by Scott Dorward » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:58 pm

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias have issued a special Eyes Only transmission about the current World War Cthulhu Kickstarter. This may have been a mistake, as few entities can listen with their eyes.

Tore
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: World War Cthulhu Special

Post by Tore » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:38 pm

It sounds really good, then the cold war is probably more my speed than WWII. Partly because I remember nuke-fear and endless summit talks. I wasn't a spy of course. :?

My favorite cold war/horror combo fiction is probably Clive Barker's "Twilight at the Towers" from Books of Blood.
Where Yig doth tread no man treads tomorrow.
Reeking death, harvest of humans in hatred.
Suck on the shitbag of what you created, what we created.
Yig now incoming, Yig now is here.
Yig he makes everything impossibly queer.

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Tore wrote:It sounds really good, then the cold war is probably more my speed than WWII. Partly because I remember nuke-fear and endless summit talks. I wasn't a spy of course. :?
Of course. Neither was I, comrade.

I was in my mid-twenties by the time the Cold War ended, so it was the dark undercurrent to my formative years. It seems almost bizarre now to think about how the constant threat of apocalypse was part of everyday life.
Tore wrote:My favorite cold war/horror combo fiction is probably Clive Barker's "Twilight at the Towers" from Books of Blood.
Thanks for reminding me of that! I must go back and reread it. It's been about 30 years since I read The Books of Blood and my memories of most of the stories are hazy at best.

DadsAngry
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DadsAngry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:17 pm

Scott why did you choose to incorporate Cthulhu Mythos into what sounds like a stand-alone espionage game? Do you not think a straight espionage RPG would sell?

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:53 pm

DadsAngry wrote:Scott why did you choose to incorporate Cthulhu Mythos into what sounds like a stand-alone espionage game? Do you not think a straight espionage RPG would sell?
A number of reasons, really. The first and most obvious is that this is an extension of the existing World War II game. We wanted to extend the line into different time periods, and this was the one we'd had most requests for. We'll move into further periods in the not-too-distant future.

I also think that Cold War espionage and the Mythos go together perfectly, with their joint themes of paranoia, deadly secrets and the constant, looming threat of annihilation by forces we cannot comprehend. The worlds of Cold War spy fiction and shadowy cults complement each other frighteningly well.

Finally, I'm a big fan of both Cold War spy fiction and the Mythos, and I personally really want to play a game that blends them. This is pretty much my ideal Cthulhu setting.

It has certainly occurred to me that you could play this as a straight spy game, ignoring the Mythos aspects, and I think that would work well. For me, however, that would only be half of what I'd want from this setting.

Bootlegger
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Bootlegger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 pm

This looks terrific! Best of luck with your campaign.

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Bootlegger wrote:This looks terrific! Best of luck with your campaign.
Thanks!

raildave
Freshman
Freshman

Post by raildave » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:29 am

Having been a Backer on Cthulhu Britannica:London and because my good old friend Scott is a good part of this project, I felt an unearthly compulsion to be a backer on this project. :cthulhudance:

Now that I received Cthulhu Britannica:London and seeing what a high quality game supplement Cubicle 7 produces I am delighted that I am a backer of this project and glad to see how successful a campaign it was. :cthulhu2:
(Anything to help keep Scott employed of course. :P )