Best Pulp Cthulhu Scenarios?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
R.J. MacReady
Sponsor
Sponsor
Best Pulp Cthulhu Scenarios?

Post by R.J. MacReady » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Anyone have experience running any of the three scenarios in the back of the Pulp Cthulhu book? Any that stand out? I want to run something, but not sure where I should begin, or if there are any other pulp scenarios that would be good starting point. Not looking to start the Two Headed Serpent campaign, want something I can do in a session or two max (although THS looks great.)
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”

― Werner Herzog

MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Best Pulp Cthulhu Scenarios?

Post by MikeM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi

I have run all of the scenarios in the Pulp Cthulhu book - my two cents -

Pandora's Box - first half is pretty investigative, second half turns on the action - you can compress the whole thing into a single session if you press the action on the PCs (i.e. the bad guys set the PCs to take the fall, if you catch my drift) - or two sessions.

Disintegrator - lots of social interaction then action - again you can compress into one or two sessions - I'd suggest cutting down the number of NPCs to help things go more quickly.

Waiting for the Hurricane - pretty action packed - prob an ideal one to start with - prob 2 sessions (could be pressed into one, but I think you'll need two)

Slow Boat - longer, 2-3 sessions possibly - I'd do this last of the 4, in terms of building your pulp experience.

Mike M
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

R.J. MacReady
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Best Pulp Cthulhu Scenarios?

Post by R.J. MacReady » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your solid suggestions. I think I'll start with Waiting for the Hurricane.
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”

― Werner Herzog